Bathroom drains backing up

Old 10-15-16, 05:14 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom drains backing up

Hi,

Ill try and explain this situation as best i can.

In the rear corner of my basement I have a bathroom which has a sink, toilet and bathtub. The main cast iron wastewater line for the house passes through this area. The line goes out the back of the house and then turns around to the front of the house where a septic tank once was. The tank was removed and I now have a grinder pump.

About a month ago after heavy rain my toilet in the basement seemed clogged. When I tried to plunge it some water seeped out from under it but it didn't clear. I waited a day or so and went back to it. I found that the toilet water level was low but it was full of what looked like dirt. The nearby bathtub also had dirt in it near the drain . I cleaned up everything and surprisingly everything was back to normal

Today I noticed that the the bathtub had dirty puddle of water near the drain which had a bad smell to it. I also noticed that the toilet water level was low. I flushed the toilet and it worked but I saw air bubbles rise up through the bathtub drain and a tiny amount of seepage around the toilet base. I flushed the toilet a few more times and plunged the bathtub and again everything seems back to normal.

In both cases there was no instances of backups anywhere else in the house, including the basement washer/utlity tub.

I guess what I am wondering is - is there an issue with the main line? Is there a clog in the toilet plumbing? Is there a clog in the bathtub plumbing? Is there a problem with my grinder pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-16, 05:39 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where is the grinder located? Have you inspected the sump to see if it is full?

Sure sounds like you have a backup, but from here no way to know if there is a clog, a break in the sewer line, or defective pump; any of those could cause the problem. If you can access the grinder sump and it's not full, and it seem to work normally if you dump in a bucket or two of water, I'd suspect a clog or break in the line to the grinder....

Old 10-16-16, 05:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
You said you once had a septic tank but it was replaced with a grinder pump. Are you now connected to city sewer or are you still on a septic system.

Old 10-16-16, 07:27 AM
X
The grinder pump is hooked up to the city sewer

Old 10-16-16, 07:30 AM
X
The grinder is about 50 ft from where the line exits the house. Have never looked at the grinder pump at all in the 8 years it's been installed

Old 10-16-16, 08:23 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, so as I said, first step is to check the pump and see if it's operating correctly. Sump should not be full up and pump should run when you dump a bucket or two of water into the sump (depending on how big the sump is).