Brand new toilet tank leak

Old 10-16-16, 04:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand new toilet tank leak

We bought 2 new Mansfield toilets, installed both, one is just fine, the other leaks from the tank. It was leaking from the valve gasket where the nut tightens up to the tank on the outside. I removed and put it back in still the same, a steady stream of water flowing out. Upset and frustrated I went and bought the same model toilet and it does the same thing. I'm at my witts end with this toilet, it seems like the hole in the bottom of the tank Is too big for the valve gasket or something. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-16, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since we can't see what you see, describe the order in which you installed the bolts, hard washers and any rubber washers. I know some Mansfields use manifold type rubber gaskets. Of course you could post pictures of the leaking one so we could see it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-16-16, 05:25 PM
J
The kit came with the funny looking bolts that don't really have a "screw head" I replaced those thinking they were leaking.
So, I bought the generic kind, on the bolt I put metal washer, rubber washer then put it through the tank, then on bottom side I put rubber washer then metal washer then nut. They have been leaking as well, but I feel I can get that taken care of. I'm more upset at the fact both these tanks are leaking at the flush valve from the tank to the bowl. They are not leaking into the bowl, they are leaking onto the floor. I have removed and inspected and re-installed the flush valve and it still leaks onto the floor.

Old 10-16-16, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You have the correct order from inside the tank to outside. If you use this sequence , then purchase a separate set of washers and nuts the tank will be leak proof. That way you can tighten the nuts on the bolts, THEN install it on the bowl. Now, with the tank leaking from the main drop, I would say your doughnut washer is incorrectly installed or the bolts holding the tank to the bowl are not sufficiently tightened.

Old 10-16-16, 06:07 PM
J
I do have nuts on the outside of the tank before installing, then wing nuts to hold the tank to the bowl.
I'm not sure here but it's leaking from the flush valve where it meets the inside of the tank, even if I put the outside rubber gasket on it then install onto the bowl it Still leaks, I've been testing it in the bath tub to see where it's leaking, and it's right out of the flush valve seal, have removed and inspected then re-installed and it changes nothing.
May end up just taking the newest one back and buying a little better non-Mansfield toilet.

Old 10-16-16, 06:24 PM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
The large 3 or so inch diameter gasket (sometimes called a spud washer) between the tank drain opening and the bowl might be too thin. It needs to be squashed at least a little in order to seal that channel.

Nuts put on the tank bolts just prior to putting the tank on the bowl should not touch the bowl. That would impose stresses likely to crack the rear of the bowl, allow the tank to rock, and increase the chance of leakage around the spud washer. Ridges or the surface of the bottom of the tank may eventually contact and rest on same at the rear of the bowl.

Sample to sample defects include irregularities or burrs around holes including the hole for the fill valve and the hole for the spud gasket. This can lead to hard to seal leaks. If you are daring you could file off such burrs but do not hit or knock off anything because you could crack the tank or bowl.

Leakage between tank and bowl must not be allowed to persist. It can result in the tank bolts and nuts rusting together making it highly difficult to dismantle if and when the time came for that.

Old 10-22-16, 04:45 AM
P
How. About a new fill valve which would have new threads add some Teflon tape or dope or both