Stains at the bottom of a Procelainn Tub

Old 11-02-16, 08:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stains at the bottom of a Procelainn Tub

I have a tub that has had a stain that keeps growing in size and is not a brown/blackish color. It seems to be eating away at the tub surface and has left the area that it is on gritty and rough.

My wife and I have tried CLT, rust remover and all types of cleaners but cannot get the stain to go away or stop the growth. Please let me know if you have any ides. I have attached photos of the affected area.

We do not care about the texture but the tub is very unsightly with the discoloration and we do not currently have the budget to replace the whole tub.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you!
JimName:  IMG_4282.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  11.4 KBName:  IMG_4281.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  12.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 09:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I assume the tub is rather old. I can't tell for certain from the photos but two scenarios come to mind. It's possible the porcelain coating has worn through. What you are seeing underneath is the cast iron of the tub. The other possibility is residue from using a steel wool or some other metallic scrubbie.

Old 11-02-16, 10:44 AM
J
Do you think there is any way to fix it or repaint over it with some special paint?

Old 11-02-16, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
It can be refinished, but it's best done by a pro. DIY results would not be good. It's a difficult job IMO. But it's cheaper than buying a new tub.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Old 11-02-16, 11:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Whether or not you need to "fix" or repaint depends on whether or not it's residue from a metallic cleaning scrubbie or worn through the enamel. One can be cleaned off the other cannot.

Old 11-02-16, 01:34 PM
J
Thank you to both of you. I sent the pictures to my plumber and he said that he will do the refinishing for it as he thinks that the enamel is worn away and the coloration is from a mix of the rust and the previous cleaning solutions I have used.