Need help with shower replacement faucet and what to buy

Old 11-12-16, 06:14 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with shower replacement faucet and what to buy

I have a 1988 townhouse. Faucet in tub has been leaking for a while so I decided just to replace the assembly (knob and stuff) shower head is fine though. My question is thiugh... Whwt will work? What do I need to look for that will work without me soldering stuff?
Here is a picture of what it looks like. The button thing at the bottom doesn't even work well at all. You push it in and it comes right out and the water for head goes back. There is a valve on the drain thing that I use instead of that.

What can I buy? Suggestions please?

Name:  faucet.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  41.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-13-16 at 08:50 AM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-16, 04:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is there a shower behind this one? Can you access this area from the room behind this valve? It would be the best way of replacing it. Sometimes all it calls for is cutting between the studs and replacing the sheetrock when you are through. You won't need to use the wormy copper elbows as the original contractor used on today's valves. If the hot and cold are switched, all you do it turn the valve over in most instances.

Old 11-13-16, 06:18 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah you hit the nail on the head. There is another shower backed up to this one. No, I can't access behind it.

Old 11-13-16, 06:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
That would have been the only reason I could think of for them to have routed the hot and cold like that. What are your sub walls made of? Concrete, lath and plaster, sheetrock, concrete backer underlayment? It is possible, with generic subway tile, that you could remove a group of them surrounding this, cut through the substrate, do your re-piping and restore the wall, using new tile, either matching or contrasting. You have a Delta unit, which is pretty bulletproof and rebuildable, so think on it a little before you grab a hammer. Especially if the pipes and valve itself are not leaking. A new Delta kit will fix the innards, and you say you have the pretty stuff.

Old 11-13-16, 07:55 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Agree Larry. Call Delta and describe what your trouble is. They may send you a new cartridge.