Closet Flange is Cracked

Old 11-21-16, 09:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet Flange is Cracked

The plastic closet flange for our toilet is cracked where the closet bolt attaches (see picture). The flange seems to be chemically welded to the outside of the 3" waste pipe. I think the problem originated from the fact that only two screws were used to bolt down the flange instead of the four it was designed for. One of the two not installed is adjacent to the place where the crack occurred. Also, the flange is slightly below the level of the tiled floor (maybe 3/16") instead of level with or slightly above. I'm thinking this may have put stress on the flange leading to the crack.
In all events, I could really use some advice on how to fix this problem. Replace the flange, but how? Just bolt it down with four screws and then add a spacer to move the level up a bit? Other ideas?
Thanks for any and all comments & suggestions.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-16, 11:48 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Any access from below?
A thicker wax ring will seal it fine once the flange is fixed.

Old 11-21-16, 01:00 PM
S
Old 11-22-16, 06:00 PM
J
Thanks for the Ideas.

The repair ring is just what I need, and the thicker wax ring should make up for the low flange. The only problem I've run into is that when I insert the closet bolts into the repair ring, they spin freely instead of staying fixed. Makes it hard to tighten down the nuts to hold the toilet in place. I thought the idea of the slots on the ring was to allow the bolts to be inserted and then slid into the slot and not rotate. Guess I was wrong.