Tub drain clear several days later

Old 12-04-16, 05:39 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tub drain clear several days later

Due to a slow tub drain, I removed the cleanouts in the basement and used a snake to clean things out. Been a few years since I've done that, but I didn't really encounter out all that much compared to previous experiences. Put everything back - the drain situation wasn't a whole lot better. Tried Drano, then a few days later a vinegar/baking soda/hot water combination. Again, no real significant improvement. Did the same vinegar etc. treatment about a week later with no noticeable improvement. There would typically be an inch and a half or so of water at the drain side. It would eventually drain after a few minutes.

Then, a couple days ago I noticed when running the shower, no water at all accumulated in the tub. When turning the shower off, now there's no standing water at all. I wonder what happened, I'd think any treatment I did would have been diluted to the point of being insignificant after several days.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-16, 06:28 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One does not look gift horse in mouth

You probably just got lucky. Depending on type of clog and where it is, there may be a column of water backed up putting pressure on the clog. Your treatments may have softened it up a little and the pressure eventually flushed it out.

If you've been really good, it will stay that way for a while.

BTW, I generally avoid using caustic drain cleaners because if they don't work (likely) you are faced with snaking a pipe full of caustic, nasty stuff.

Old 12-06-16, 10:31 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I hear ya re: the gift horse!

That's what I thought happened, eventually to the clog just dissipated due to some of the treatments and/or pressure. I also have been tending not to use the caustic drain cleaners for reasons you mentioned. Seems like that baking soda treatment may be as potent due how it reacts.

I wonder if it would help doing the baking soda/vinegar treatment routinely whether it needs it or not would be worthwhile?