Shower Mixer Valve threads broken

Old 12-05-16, 12:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Mixer Valve threads broken

I've been wrangling with a leaky shower for a bit and just when I found out the problem I made it worse and now have an inoperable shower, I'm hoping you folks can help me find a plumbing fix so that I don't have to break into the tile to do anything more major...

Essentially the rubber washer for the stem valve wore away and I had been sealing the valve with only metal-to-metal from the washer housing onto the seat, which worked fairly well with a bit of pressure until someone (me ) foolhardedly forced it a little too hard and cracked the theads on the bronze mixer valve inside the wall, so now even with a new washer and seat water leaks through via the mixer valve threads to the showerhead.

I'm curious if there might be any way to force a positive seal between the seat and the current broken-threaded mixer valve? Don't mind if it makes the seat an integral part of the valve, that would just push off having to break into the wall to install a new mixer valve until the seat wore down to nothing, which I'm guessing might outlive me anyway. Many thanks to anyone who can help me avoid having to learn demolition/tilework/backerboard/soldering which from what I can tell is the only other option short of making some band-aid solution of a fancy showerhead assembly with an integrated shutoff valve.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-16, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forums.
Please define mixer valve. Do you have a single handle or three handle?

If your house is older, I would guess a 3-handle Price Pfister valve body in the wall, typical in California.
If you cracked the valve body there is probably water leaking in the wall that you're unaware of.
It might need immediate attention even if it means ripping out the wall. First choice is the wall behind shower.
I cracked a drop ear elbow a few years ago on a wall mount faucet (garage wall behind), and the leakage luckily was noticeable immediately. Drywall in garage needed to come out at all cost so proper repairs could be made.
I think I said oops if I remember.

Old 12-05-16, 02:34 PM
B
Thanks for the response Handyone, appreciate the welcome as well.

It is a single valve on the hot side, it is just a shower not a tub/shower. The "mixer valve" I guess is really just a bronze fitting, it has one set of threads to hold the stem valve in place, and another deeper in at a smaller diameter for holding the threaded seat. Could try to take a photo when I'm back home.

I'm nearly certain the body itself didn't crack, with the stem valve threaded in there is no sign of leakage. Had to cap the showerhead pipe to keep the water on to the house.

Could avoid doing tile work with the wall behind, but that wall is in my living room so I'm apprehensive to get into that and risk an unsightly patch after the fact...

Old 12-05-16, 03:02 PM
but that wall is in my living room so I'm apprehensive
Costs will vary for drywall work. As a contractor, I have a drywall guy.
My guy could have the wall looking like new for about $180.00 or less including patching holes, you prime and paint.
I don't think he would charge a customer much more, so look for about 180 to 250.
This price is to make the wall look like it was never touched, which usually means texturing the entire wall. Easy for a pro.