Basement shower Install

Old 12-07-16, 06:58 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement shower Install

Hello,
First time posting and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working on my basement finishing project and am ready to install the shower. Purchased a Sterling shower kit and intended on using the brass, no-caulk drain assembly. I assumed the shower pan would have some clearance underneath for room for the drain. However the pan sits directly on the floor. Hopefully the pics tell the story. Anyway, my first thought was to just chip away some of the concrete around the 2" drain to allow room for the drain fitting, but, about 1/2" down from the surface is a union that will prevent the brass fitting from sliding down far enough!!! Any suggestions for a fix without tearing a bunch of concrete out (which you can see I already did once to relocate the drain)? I hope I explained well enough!

ThanksName:  IMG_2190.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  25.8 KBName:  IMG_2187.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  30.8 KBName:  IMG_2189.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  13.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-16, 04:09 PM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Having only done one shower remodel my drain assembly basically was below the sub floor, it was in the basement. You dont have that clearance so guessing there is either a "special' drain attachment for your installation or, hate to say it, the pan needs to be elevated.

Others will chime in!

Old 12-08-16, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Whoever installed the 2" pipe for the shower failed to leave the trap box exposed. That would have given you clearance for your fitting. I would certainly use PVC over Brass any day, however. You have a problem, now of having an occluded trap in the floor, so you have no movement. Hopefully the shower pan and pipe will match up perfectly.

See the video associated with this drain. You will need concrete clearance around your pipe to use it. WingTite Shower Drain-SD1000 - The Home Depot