Repairing rotted subfloor at edge of tub?

Old 12-23-16, 08:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing rotted subfloor at edge of tub?

So while having dinner at my mother's house today, I noticed two small cracks and what appear to be small water stain on her living room ceiling.

It was right below the bathroom. So after some investigation. it appear that at the corner where the tub met a wall, the subfloor (an area of maybe an inch or two?) has rotted. The floor is soft, and i can actually push the vinyl floor down slightly with my fingers. Which made the loose caulking in that area even worse. Rest of the edge around the tub seems to be fine. It is just that corner.

There is a small access panel which allowed me to peak underneath the tub, the plywood underneath the tub appear to look fine. I couldn't find the rotted area with my hand from the access panel either. Maybe the tub sits on a different piece of wood?

Photos I took: http://imgur.com/a/P0mS4/layout/grid
Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  18.2 KB

So few questions:

1. What would be the best way to fix this without taking out the tub/vinyl floor/living room ceiling. I'm going to re-caulk, but the fact the vinyl floor can be pushed down slightly at the rotted area, I'm bit worried that the new caulking I put on will tear. Should I just apply huge amount of silicon caulking at that corner?

2. Would vinyl shoe molding work better? Since it would cover the rotted area, and then the rest will be sealed with silicon caulking.

3. How should I repair the two small cracks on the popcorn ceiling.

Thanks.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-24-16 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-16, 11:06 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
So the very first question that needs to be asked is, where is the water coming from?

Fixing the ceiling, fixing the tile, fixing the floor will do no good if the water leak is not resolved.

Can you provide some details on that?

Old 12-24-16, 02:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I agree, the leak needs to be found and fixed first! Anything you do to the floor short of opening it up and replacing the rotted wood will be a temporary fix.

Old 12-24-16, 05:40 AM
D
I highly suspect the water is from the bad seal between the vinyl floor and the tub. The water tend to pool at that corner from spills/people getting out of the shower etc. The fact there is a drywall with molding there probably doesn't provide the perfect seal either. Once a crack has appeared in the caulking, it just went downhill from there.

The silicon seal between the shower wall panels and the tub looks solid at that area, nor can i feel any wetness from the access panel. There is a drain pipe there, but it goes underneath the rotted sub-floor, so while the drain pipe may leak and cause the ceiling water stains, I don't think it would be causing the floor rot.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-16, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would take a lot of water and a number of years for water on the floor to rot the subfloor. I would assume that a lot of water isn't just left on the floor after getting out of the shower/tub.

Old 12-24-16, 05:48 AM
D
The house used to be a rental property for students. The area may have also leaked before from overflow or bad caulking.

So it could have been an old issue, that just made worse with broken seal.

Old 12-24-16, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you cut out the rotten plywood you should be able to determine if there is a leak. Depending on how bad the ceiling below is you might inspect from below and patch the ceiling. If you just clean it up and recaulk you are banking on no leak and hoping the damage doesn't grow - time will tell if you go that route.

Old 12-24-16, 03:24 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Not trying to be a pain, but you really need to confirm if the water is due to a current leak, or was a result of overflow!!

The rot did not come about due to the lack of caulking, its due to water. You need to be sure the water issue is eliminated.

The next problem is trying to fix the damage.

I realize you want to do as little discovery as possible but the damage could be below the vinyl flooring, hate to say it but the flooring may need to be pulled up to confirm the extent of the damage.