Kitchen Sink Faucet corrosion

Old 12-30-16, 11:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen Sink Faucet corrosion

My kitchen sink faucet (Moen) keeps getting a buildup of corrosion/chemical junk in the stalk between the sink top and the faucet itself. The buildup gets bad enough that it prohibits the faucet from swinging left to right over the two sink basins. I had a water softener installed that I thought was supposed to control this when we moved into the house 12 years ago.

I've spoken to Moen reps and they say they get several calls on this and sent me two o rings and a small tube of grease. I replaced them about a year ago, then took a brass brush and scrubbed away as much of the corrosion as I could. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago and is again getting to the point that the faucet won't swing side to side.

I have a small Dremel tool with small wire brushes that I'd like to use to give the interiors a good cleaning. Again replace the O rings with those from Moen and use a food safe grease to coat the entire interior of the stem and it's cover. I've read some of these "food safe" greases are not "o ring safe though" and will rot the rings. Any suggestions on how I can fix this or what brand/type grease I could use would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-16, 06:17 AM
This is a common problem, the faucet fails to swivel after only a year or two.
I toss them all the time.
You can use plumbers grease on the o-ring after scraping and polishing the inside body, but that's a temporary fix.

What I advise is a faucet like this:

Name:  addison.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  15.6 KB

The swivel point is high above the counter top deck which helps to keep water out of the joint.

Old 12-31-16, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think it's been a little over a year since I took it apart and greased and cleaned it. I hate to think of replacing it, because it means the wife has to come along and make her choice. THAT could be a major decision that could take another long time!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: