Laundry Sink into Washing Machine Drain

Old 12-31-16, 11:47 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laundry Sink into Washing Machine Drain

Hi all,

Asking a (hopefully) simplified question that I've seen a million versions of on here and on other sites. I'd like to install a laundry tub next to my washing machine, but rather than have two separate drains, I'd like my washing machine to simply drain into the laundry tub(lint and pet hair issues abound, and I'd rather not risk damaging a newish drain field/having any more clogged pipes. This way, the machine can dump into a proper lint filter in the sink which isn't possible with the current standpipe configuration). Anyway, the washing machine currently has a 30" standpipe which goes down to a P trap near the floor, and from there into a concrete block wall with the vent/drain right on the other side. My question: If I install a sink next to the washing machine, can I just run the drain from the sink straight back to the wall, through a reducing fitting (to accommodate the 1.5" to 2" pipe change), and drop down into the existing P trap? Basically, I want to be sure that the ~24" vertical drop from sink bottom to P trap won't be an issue, since P traps are usually of course located right below the sink. Pictures/crudely drawn MS Paint diagrams available upon request!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-16, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome!

Your plan sounds OK to me, but I'm not familiar with all codes.
Basically you want to abandon the washing machine configuration and swap it out for a sink.

I would move the trap rather than directing the sink drain back and down.
All you would need is a (ABS or PVC) street elbow and a banded no-hub coupler.
From the elbow out, you can use a short section of pipe and add your new trap there.

In order to cut off the old trap, I would want at least 1" of stub out remaining, the more the better.