change bathtub spout with shower diverter

Old 01-03-17, 07:26 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
change bathtub spout with shower diverter

Hi, I'm replacing a tub spout with a leaking shower diverter, and I need some expert advice. I've seen these spouts with a setscrew, and ones that thread on to a pipe. The one I'm dealing with has no setscrew, but I can't get it to budge to unscrew it. I have lots of tools to put more force on it, but I'm afraid of damaging the plumbing. I guess my question is: are there any other ways these spouts are attached? Thanks for any advice- Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-17, 08:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
Screwing on is the most common and unfortunately the dissimilar metals used in the pipe and tub spout can corrode together making removal very difficult. First, make sure any caulking at the base of the spout is removed as that can help glue the spout in place. I use a 15" Channel Lock pliers or large pipe wrench for applying more leverage but it damages the spout so your committed to replacing it. You have to be somewhat careful how much force you use as you can break things loose inside the wall.

If it still doesn't come loose then I cut the spout open. Once you have access to the inside you can spray penetrating oil on the threads. If it still won't come off then I cut the spout away from the male pipe threads from the faucet. If the pipe coming from the wall is copper I hit it with a torch and remove the spout remains with the male threaded fitting and then sweat on a new fitting. If your pipe is steel Then I try to loosen it and plan on installing a new pipe nipple.

Old 01-03-17, 10:29 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update: the spout was screwed on to a male adapter on 1/2" copper which came down out of the valve and 90 degree to the copper and male adapter. It was FROZEN on there and the copper bent and twisted as I manhandled the spout. I needed an access panel in the wall behind anyway, so I'm left with a repair that would be easy if it was out in the open. But I'll get it-
Thanks for the advice anyway. Steve