Repair around drain in old concrete laundry sink?

Old 01-04-17, 10:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair around drain in old concrete laundry sink?

Hey all,
Recently purchased a home with one of those really old concrete laundry sinks. Long story short, I used some paint stripper on the walls in the basement, washed the brush out in the sink, came back, and it appears that the concrete right around the drain has been damaged by the stripper chemicals? It cracked and broke, and I'm wondering what type of concrete is in these things, and what I should use to fix it? Just plain mortar? Or should I use something else? Obviously it's a wet area and I need to comply with that... Also want to make sure whatever I use bonds to the metal drain in the affected area as well. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Can you post a picture so we can see the damage and extent of damage?

You said "it" broke. What is "it"? Is the concrete of the sink broken? Is the drain that mounts inside the sink broken?

A lot has to do with how bad the damage is. I find it hard to believe that paint stripper damaged the sink let alone damaged it much. Do you have surface cracking of the concrete or has the whole area where the drain mounts broken out?

Old 01-04-17, 04:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"It" is just the concrete right around the drain. It's bizarre. I wouldn't think the stripper would do that either, but it was perfect and 5 minutes after that stuff touched it, bam, it's cracked.Name:  20170104_182326.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  19.3 KBName:  20170104_182325.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  23.8 KBName:  20170104_182334.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 01-04-17, 05:36 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Maybe an old patch? I would clean out the damage and repair it with epoxy. I bought some at a big box store.The epoxy was one tube. About as big around as your thumb and about 5 inches long.
The outside is green and the center is white. To use it you just cut a piece off with a knife and I mix it together with my fingers and patch the hole it dries in a couple hours. The stuff I used was for marine application. I patched a lot of things with this stuff and it really works
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-05-17, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I don't think the stripper did it. I would guess it's just long term damage over the years and it was mostly coincidence that the big pieces popped off after you used the stripper.

I have never used any of them but many companies make epoxies specifically for repairing concrete. Make sure you follow the instructions especially regarding surface prep. Skimping or cutting corners on the prep is usually a sure way to guarantee failure.