Kitchen sink punctured

Old 01-05-17, 06:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink punctured

So I don't know how it happened, but my kitchen sink has a puncture hole.

IN the sort term I'm going to fill the hole and seal it. But I'm wondering if its possible to replace the sink without lifting the Quartz counter top. Its an undermount.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-17, 06:57 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Yes you can replace it, but it's more difficult and you may want to get a professional to do it. You do not need to lift the counter top. This is why I do not like under mount sinks. Over the top insert sinks makes replacement and repaire much easier.

As a temporary repair I would suggest J-B weld waterproof two part epoxy.

Old 01-05-17, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might need to remove the counter to replace the sink.
Quartz is laid over top of 5/8" plywood decking.

IF your sink base cabinet is 36" wide vs 33" wide, you have a better chance of getting the sink down.
Look under the sink and see if the clips are visible, or if the sink is resting on a plywood deck.

If you can get to the clips the sink is fairly easy to swap out.

Old 01-05-17, 12:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Replacing the sink can be done if you are handy. First remove the faucet and unhook and remove the drain and trap. Then inside the cabinet remove the fastening clips holding the sink to the counter. Be ready in case it falls when the clips are removed but most are also caulked in place and will need to be pried loose with a putty knife. After the sink is out use a putty knife to remove any old caulk/adhesive on the bottom of the counter. You basically go in reverse to install the new sink.

A helper is quite helpful when installing the new sink. Apply the adhesive/caulk to the flange of the new sink and lift it into position. The helper above can hold onto the drain hole to keep it in place while the person below attaches the clips to hold it. Then let it sit for 24 hours for the caulk to set before trying to hook up the drain and faucet.