Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
changing plumbing for bath to shower remodel

Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  44.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  31.8 KB

trying to figure out if i can change the plumbing layout from my old tub to a center drain on shower on a 30x60 floor layout. after much DiY video viewing it looks like i would need to lower the drain under the plywood and extend in to the center of the shower.
my concerns are:
1. will dropping the horizontal drain down below the plywood have any negative affect on the way it attaches back to P-trap. (not sure how much drop you need before it hits the trap)

2. i would need to drill 2 holes in the 2x12 ( 2 red lines on image) to get the pipe to the center position and would need to rip up the floor to do that. is this option a doable one?

Old 01-11-17, 07:36 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
how to prep this floor for tiling

after view many hours of video on how to install a shower floor, i have a pretty good idea of the proper steps and materials.

of course every job has it's own unique challenges, including mine.

the attached picture show the joists in red. i'm trying to convert an old bathtub to a shower. the flooring around the current drain is'nt solid enough at this point to support the shower floor structure. i'm not sure whether to rip this section the floor out and add supports below and replace with new plywood or is there another less time consuming fix. thanks
Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 01-11-17, 10:13 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Take the section out, add sufficient blocking and replace. You will want a couple of layers of Ply in addition to the blocking to stiffen it all up. Are you using a shower base or building up yourself as a presloped mudbase?

Old 01-11-17, 12:00 PM
O
thanks for your reply. when you say blocking are you referring to the the supports under the ply? i plan on building a shower base presloped.
Also if you have an time to look at this link, i have another question regarding redoing the plumbing to accommodate the shower drain. if you can't no biggie. thanks for your time.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...r-remodel.html

Old 01-11-17, 02:12 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First off, read this guys instructions and you can't go wrong. How to Create a Shower Floor – Part 1 It is a 5 part series so review all steps, it is the correct way in case you are following some video of a guy that doesn't know what he is doing.

By code your shower drain needs to be 2" pipe not 1 1/2" as in the tub configuration. I see cast iron but can't tell if you can adjust the fittings and get it stepped up to 2". Your trap will be directly under the drain. You will have to drill through the joists to set your pipes. May have to rent an angle drill to accomplish.

Old 01-11-17, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will HAVE to change it no matter what. You have a 1 1/2" drain set up and a shower calls for a 2" drain, so all the piping must be 2" and tied into the main plumbing. With that said, you can put it anywhere you want within reason and without cutting joists.

Old 01-11-17, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Try to keep all your posts regarding a subject together. We will have to chase all over the forums when we can answer it all in one thread. I answered the other thread, but hopefully the mod of this forum will merge them.

Old 01-14-17, 11:07 AM
O
Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  31.8 KBtrying to figure out how much I can drop the existing drain so it will extend under the flooring.

if the top of the 2" pipe that runs under the plywood to the new drain is at the same height as the top of the connection to the main steel pipe that runs down to the septic line, will that be correct? or does it have to be higher than that?

Old 01-14-17, 12:03 PM
Name:  trapheight.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  13.4 KB

It looks like you might squeak by, please let us know.
The depth of seal as measured in picture above needs to be 3".

There are shallow traps, but wouldn't pass inspection as far as I know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: