New shower installed, now the pan shifts.

Old 01-16-17, 08:43 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shower installed, now the pan shifts.

So I've installed a new corner shower in my small front bath. Everything was going great, floor was level, I've had NO issues during the install of the shower itself. I've stepped in and out of this thing 20 times during this install. The floor was perfectly level in all directions when I started. All that was left was to caulk the seams of the corner cubby and as I step I Tom the shower itself, I felt the floor move. I step back out and in and now, after I'm all done, the front 1/3 of the plastic Maxx brand shower rises and lowers when you step into it. Fudge! I was going to caulk along the edge where the pans meets the tile but it'll just tear off as the flex s too much and you hear and feel a sound as the pan hits the subfloors when you step I to the shower.

Putting aside how unbelievably frustrating this is to have this show up when I'm basically done, how can I fix this? I do have access to the underside of the shower and was contemplating drilling some small pilot holes and putting liquid nails up under the pan but it's a grid pattern so there's not much to bite into with that method. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 09:02 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Send us a link to the actual shower pan you installed.

Do you have any tile left over?

Is the center of the pan flexing or is the rim or edge flexing?

Old 01-16-17, 09:40 AM
T
Thank you for the quick reply. To clarify, the tile was floor tile, the shower was a kit, glue up panels and the like. Below is the link to the shower.

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/ba...4438700332.htm

The part that is flexing now is the front third center area entry side of the drain. The drain doesn't seem to be moving. I'm not sure if somehow the pan warped at some point during the install or what.

Old 01-16-17, 02:10 PM
Installation instructions say nothing about setting the base in a mud bed, only to shim the entire base not just at one point. So to understand your issue, the center of the base is flexing not around the rim of the base.

What type of drain did you install? Perm solvent weld or compression?

Old 01-16-17, 03:27 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Any shims must
support the entire base: not only at one
point. Verify this by standing on the base,
once shimmed, and check for any spring or
bounce in the base.
squrting in some adhesive will not fix the problem, as much as I hate to say it you need to take the thing apart to find out what has caused the flex and resolve.

Not doing that will eventually cause the base to flex and crack and leak!

Old 01-16-17, 05:47 PM
T
It's a compression drain fit. The drain area is not flexing. It's the front middle under the door (but not affecting the door) that is the only part that is moving. You only notice it when you're stepping out of the shower since you step closer to the edge as you step out of the shower as opposed to stepping in where your foot is farther in.

Old 01-16-17, 05:54 PM
T
While you may be correct and squirting some adhesive underneath may do nothing, taking it apart is not an option. The panels are all glued up, floor tile has been set, wall texture and paint has been done, etc.....the remodel is done, I'd basically have to rebuy most of the shower kit again if they even sell replacement parts not to mention all the work that would have to be redone. There has to be a way to fix this without just telling me to rip it out.

Old 01-16-17, 05:58 PM
T
I think what's got me so frustrated is that everything was 100% level and I had no issues all the way thru until it's done. It something was not level or needed shimming, I can only assume I'd notice it somewhere along the way as I'm stepping in and out of the shower during the remodel. It's as if the pan warped along the way but I don't know how on earth that could be.

Old 01-16-17, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I imagine you should take up a few tiles outside the shower door and maybe cut out some of the backerboard, shim and use a grout bag to push thin set under that front perimeter. Then replace the tiles.

Maybe floor joists have deflected from the added weight of the tile.

Old 01-16-17, 09:15 PM
I imagine you should take up a few tiles outside the shower door and maybe cut out some of the backerboard, shim and use a grout bag to push thin set under that front perimeter. Then replace the tiles.
Was where I was going when I asked if you had any extra tiles. Pull from the problem area, add mortar to the edge to support and se how it reacts to the added support.