Issues with Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal not Draining

Old 01-17-17, 09:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issues with Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal not Draining

So my wife texted me just now letting me know that our garbage disposal in our kitchen sink just exploded on her and is now longer draining. I have suspicion we've been using the disposal a little too heavily lately and that something might be blocked, but I am not sure how to problem solve the issue.

Any ideas on what I need to do? I would really like to avoid paying somebody to do this.

Thanks for the help and I've attached a picture of the current situation below.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-17, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
If it's not draining, it's definitely plugged. But you don't know where. Does the other half of the sink drain? If not, first thing I would do is put a bucket under the trap and disconnect your trap completely... dump it out and make sure it is clean. Everything in the sink will also drain out so be ready for a mess with sponges.

Then disconnect the short drain pipe that comes out the side of the garbage disposal and make sure it is clean. While it's off, look inside the disposal to see if anything is jammed inside the drain area.

Hopefully those steps will be all that is needed. Put it back together and run hot water down it for a while.

If the other half of the sink DOES drain, the clog is in the disposal itself. Does it run when you turn it on, or not? If not, there should be a wrench to turn the nut on the bottom of the disposal manually. Turn it back and forth until it frees up.

Old 01-17-17, 10:06 AM
P
The other side of the sink does drain and the disposal runs but the water doesn't drain. So it sounds like there is something on the bottom of the disposal that will allow me to empty it?

Old 01-17-17, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
No, it isnt a drain, it is usually just a nut that allows you to turn the disposal impeller. If it runs, turning it by hand won't help.

If it runs, and the other half of the sink drains, the clog will likely be above the trap in the tailpiece that comes out of the disposal.

You will still need the pan and some towels. The trap will need to be disconnected, and the tailpiece that comes out the side of the disposal will need to be removed. The clog is likely in that tailpiece or right in the outlet where the tailpiece connects. You would need to dig the obstruction out.

This is all pretty easy to do. A pic of the plumbing under the sink would help. If you would happen to have a solidly glued trap, then it becomes more complicated.

Old 01-17-17, 02:35 PM
P
Ok here's a picture of the setup. I apologize for the all the stuff in the way!

Old 01-17-17, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, if you loosen all the fittings, you can remove the trap and tee on the left side. Have a pan and towel ready underneath it just in case. Once you drop all that off, bend a coat hanger in half and slide it up the horizontal tailpiece to try and poke a hole in whatever is jammed tight.

Then reassemble. Keep an eye on how everything comes apart and don't lose any compression rings or get them turned around backward. Put it all back together exactly like it came apart and you will be fine.

Old 01-17-17, 03:27 PM
P
That was really easy as the blockage was right at the tee. It was just a bunch of fiberous material that built to a blockage. Thank you so much for your help! I actually have another sink related question that I will be posting in another thread.

Old 01-17-17, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good. Often, if the fitting doesnt have a built-in stop, the tailpiece can be cut too long, and if it is, it will restrict the drainage.

Glad you got it!