Shower and Bath has loud rushing water/whoosing sound

Old 01-22-17, 10:46 AM
Shower and Bath has loud rushing water/whoosing sound

I have 2 bathrooms upstairs that are adjacent to each other. The walls of both bathrooms are connected to the master bedroom.

If I'm in the master bedroom and someone is showering in the master bath, the sound of running water is fine and normal, not very noticeable.

If I'm in the master bedroom and someone is showering in the other bathroom, the sound of running water is much louder. When she is taking her daily bath, the sound of the water is extremely loud, harsh, and makes a WHOOSING noise. It is literally impossible to sleep in the master bed or watch movies in the family room underneath due to how loud it is.

I've uploaded a SoundCloud recording of both showers running (not the bath). Shower 2 is the loud shower and Shower 1 is the master bath normal sounding shower:

https://soundcloud.com/mirth-oneist/...ise-comparison

I checked the water pressure with a gauge last week and I believe it was 60 or 65 PSI.

If needed, here's a pic of the knobs of the loud shower:

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this and what some remedies are?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-17, 11:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
It is quite possible whoever built the rooms insulated the pipes in the master bathroom and failed to do so in the other bathroom. That, coupled with solid fastening of the pipes to the framing can cause sound vibrations to carry forward to the sheetrock walls. Without breaking into the walls and doing some insulation it may just be something to live with.

Old 01-22-17, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your response Chandler.

When I moved into the home, there already was a square cutout to the piping of the "loud" bathroom right behind the bathtub. It wasn't insulated, so I put some foam piping insulation around the pipes as much as I could and also bought some soundproof batting to stuff in the open areas but it barely helped.

On the other hand, a few months ago I accidentally drilled into a water pipe for another project (long story...) from the room below, and the plumber had to make a square cutout to the piping behind the master bathroom. I can see that it's also not insulated at all, yet doesn't make much noise.

Is it possible that any of the tub mechanics (valves and such from the knobs) be causing this issue?

Old 01-22-17, 12:43 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
The most likely cause is that the quieter shower head is a low flow model whereas the noisy one has a much higher flow rate. The higher flow rate through the valve orifice means increased noise.

Are both tub/showers using the same type/style/manufacturer valve assembly? Different valves can have different size orifices.

Old 01-22-17, 01:24 PM
Hi Furd, thanks for your suggestions.

The good shower has a showerhead without the restricter. I'm not sure about the "bad" shower, but since the bathtub is amazingly loud I don't think the shower head would fix that?

Anyways, I just took of the diverter pieces to see if there were pieces of debris blocking the flow and causing weird pressures, but it seemed clean.

Old 01-22-17, 02:11 PM
Update:

So I tried the same showerhead but took the restrictor out and the noise wasn't any better. I took off my (master bath) showerhead and it's about the same noise level as before.

But this is leading me to another question!

Could the diverter itself be restricting the flow? When I take the square access off behind the bath and then turn on the bathtub, the diverter is making a gurgley sound! Like a lot of air mixed with water. When I took the diverter pieces apart, the holes where the water go through were extremely small, the diameter had to be not even 1cm.

Does that sound like a possibility? The master bath has no bathtub, just a shower, so maybe it's allowing more pressure to go through?

Old 01-23-17, 01:50 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
Obviously I can't know for certain as I am not there but most flowing water noise problems are due to excess velocity. This is caused by higher than necessary water pressure (in excess of about 75psi), pipes too small for the flow, faucets that have internal passages too small for the flow and the like. A service valve that is partially closed can also be a source of the noise.

Old standard shower heads are generally rated at about 3 to 5 gallons per minute, Low flow models are anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 gallon per minute. A tub filler (spout) may be rated at 7 gallons per minute or more.

My house has the water heater located in the garage but fairly close to the center of the house. Both the hot and cold piping run to the side of the house where they tee off to the ends, kitchen on one end and second bathroom on the other. The main line is 3/4 inc copper, the branch to the kitchen is 1/2 inch copper and the branch to the second bathroom is 3/4 inch copper up to the point where it branches to the washbasin and from that point to the whirlpool tub it is 1/2 inch copper.

When I use water at any point other than the whirlpool tub the noise of rushing water is barely noticeable but when I fill the whirlpool tub you can hear it throughout the entire house. It is ALL because of the vastly increased flow rate through the bathtub filler. IF I "throttle down" the flow rate (close down on the bath faucet) the noise subsides. Of course it then takes significantly longer to fill the tub so I put up with the noise for the short period of time to fill the tub.