Sterling Accord Tub Surround side walls not going in.

Old 01-24-17, 08:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sterling Accord Tub Surround side walls not going in.

Our home flooded and we're replacing everything, including bathtubs.

We bought 2 Sterling Accord Tubs and Surrounds(made by Kohler) and are having trouble mounting the side walls. The back wall mounted to the tub just fine, but the side walls will not.

What his happening is the side walls go in using a pivot at the top of the rear wall and will not go in all the way. The wall goes in part way, but is at a slight angle where it's supposed to meet leaving a gap, and the wall is slightly higher at the pivot point. Having this same problem with both tub walls. We've tried interchanging the walls, but the same thing happens. Does it just need a little brute force or something else?

The tubs were installed by a plumber and are both level. The walls are supposed to snap into place but they aren't doing so. Has anyone ever installed this type of tub before and had this problem? How did you resolve it? Please help.

RedStickHam

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-17, 09:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
Have you contacted Sterling to ask them?

Please post some pictures showing the problem you are having. Usually I find the problem is framing/studs is the wall is not vertical. Walls bowing out is not a problem and can be fixed by shimming but if the walls pinch inwards they can interfere with the surround.

Old 01-25-17, 06:37 PM
R
I called them and they told me it was an issue with the stud pocket being too narrow. Not sure I believe that. My wife is going to send them some pictures and see if they have the solution.

Name:  20170123_192509.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  15.0 KBName:  20170123_192454.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  11.9 KBName:  20170123_192438.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  26.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-17, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
It looks like the back wall is not vertical/plumb and is leaning toward the tub causing the pie shaped gap with the side walls. The easiest solution would be to move the tub out however much the wall is sloped. You can shim the lower parts of the back wall studs to create a plumb face for the surround to mount against.

Old 01-26-17, 07:45 PM
H
We have the Sterling Accord walk in shower and ran into some of the same problems. The walls near the faucet and on the other side were bowed in. The only solution our contractor could come up with was to chip away a bit at the studs. This may or may not be a solution for you and I suggest you talk about it with your contractor. The Sterling products are really great once you get them installed but can be a bear to install especially if your wall studs are not plumb or they are bowed.

Old 01-28-17, 07:43 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Good luck! I installed one of these a few yrs a ago in an apt. Little could I imagine that the concrete floor was out of level by an inch over 5'. I had to notch out studs on one end and shim the other to make the cube fit. With some inventive drywall repairs it looked ok and has provided several years of trouble free service. What should have been an easy job ran over $3k if memory serves.