Further securing a pedestal sink

Old 01-27-17, 06:32 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Further securing a pedestal sink

My home's previous owners "installed" (and I use that term loosely) this Kohler K-2294 pedestal sink in one bathroom. But I recently discovered that the back of the sink basin is only sitting loosely on a wall bracket, with the pedestal itself actually holding up the basin: no mounting bolts, no floor bolt, no caulking anywhere, nada. (So basically if you put pressure on the front of the basin, it would potentially flip forward since the back is resting loose on the bracket. Good times!)

In reading over the sink's directions per the link mentioned above, it looks like it was meant to be installed via hanger bolts. I inspected the bracket the previous owners used and it does appear to be properly attached to the wall, so that's a plus.

Now my question: I want to properly secure the basin so it's not as dangerously loose as it is now. Since the manual doesn't seem to mention a bracket anywhere, would doing the hanger bolts--as intended--be the correct route, so the final setup would be a bracket plus hanger bolts?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out, is if adding hanger bolts for support is the correct way to proceed, or just drilling in plain old screws/bolts with a nut at the end to hold the basin steady against the wall is enough, since the bracket's already there.

Does that make sense? Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Morgan19; 01-27-17 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
I didn't have the bracket when I installed my pedestal sink. I used lag bolts and washer to secure the basin to the studs [thru drywall] and the base to the floor. You have to use care and not over tighten them so you don't crack the porcelain!!

Old 01-28-17, 06:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hopefully the framers installed a 2x12 behind the location for the attachment of the sink. Look on the sides under the sink, and I think you will find the holes Marksr is referring to. The bracket will hold the sink and keep it from tilting out, but if you plan on sitting on the edge, then it needs to be secured with lags in those holes. Pictures of under the sink will help, too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-28-17, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would remove the sink and the existing bracket and install the hanger bolts.

Here are bolts at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman...-Bolts/3035753

Using the hanger bolts allows you to set them in the wall nice and straight.
They will also hold up the sink while you screw on the acorn nuts and washer.

To me this is easier than trying to drive a long screw through the sink into the wall.

Old 01-28-17, 07:04 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, but this...

To me this is easier than trying to drive a long screw through the sink into the wall.
...is exactly what I was (poorly) trying to ask. Exactly what I needed to know, thanks!