American Standard toilet issue.

Old 01-30-17, 12:11 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard toilet issue.

Bought this "American-Standard-Champion-4-1-piece-1-6-GPF-Single-Flush-Elongated-Toilet" about 2 years ago and haven't like it from day 1. My initial problem (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...ch-should.html) is still a problem (or at least something I don't like).

However, over the past couple of years the toilet constantly clogs, and has just recently starting running a few times/day. By 'running' I mean that it makes the same noise/does whatever it doe when the fill valve is still filling.

In other words, if I open the tank and push down on the fill valve a bit, the toilet 'runs' (i.e. makes noise and water fills the tank). This is the same noise/filling that randomly happens a couple of times/day.

I was able to run in and 'catch it in the act' one day, and nothing was happening in the tank except that water was coming from the fill tube (i.e. out of the fill valve).

Sorry if my terminology isn't the best.

In any case, I know this toilet gets great reviews (HD, Amazon, this forum, etc...), but I've been unhappy since day 1, especially for a $300+ toilet. Did I get a dud? Was it installed wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-17, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Aging of the flapper is one indication of malfunction. Water is seeping past the flapper and causing the repeated running condition. Replace the flapper with a 4" AS flapper.

Your water should be within 3/4" of the top of the overflow tube. If it is lower, poorer flushes will be encountered. If it is too high, it can overflow the tube and run consistently. Let us know if any of this helps.

Old 01-30-17, 02:42 PM
Along the same lines as above, ensure the refill tube is suspended above the overflow pipe, not inserted into it.

Also since your bowl is not filling high enough, you might have a partial clog in the toilet or the sewer pipe.
A partial clog can create a vacuum and pull water from the bowl, maybe very slowly.
This can cause problems like low bowl level and ghost flushing.

Old 02-07-17, 04:23 PM
N
Thanks for the info. I think the problem is as mentioned above (possibly a bad flapper, even though it's only 2 years old and looks to be in great shape), as the water level in the tank is slowly dropping, causing the float to drop and eventually run for a few seconds to fill the tank back up.

Aside from an aging flapper, is there anything else that could be causing the water to drop? I don't see or hear anything, but when I check on it every few minutes the water level is definitely getting lower.

Thanks again!

Old 02-07-17, 04:55 PM
Have you changed the flapper, yet? Don't go looking for other causes until you have solved the most likely one. Some water content will cause the rubber to age faster than other water. It happens. Let us know the results.

Old 02-07-17, 05:28 PM
N
Not yet. I'll try that first.

Old 02-08-17, 06:19 AM
N
I just ordered the part. Given that this is a one-piece toilet, is it as simple as unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one? Obviously I can't remove/disconnect the tank and come at it from both sides.

I'm sure it'll come with inx., just trying to prep myself beforehand...

Old 02-20-17, 12:51 PM
N
Changing the flapper has (so far) worked!

Thanks!

Old 02-20-17, 01:25 PM
Figured it might. Glad you are back in operation !!

Old 02-20-17, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
If you use any type of cleaner that goes into the tank.... especially a chlorinated product.... the flapper will not last very long as the chlorine will harden the rubber quickly.

Old 02-20-17, 01:54 PM
N
Thanks. I've never used anything in the tank, and am definitely annoyed (to say the least) that the part barely lasted 3-4 years.

Old 02-20-17, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I agree.... a high quality appliance should utilize quality components for a long service life.

Old 02-21-17, 05:51 AM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Two issues to check. The other cause of your toilet flapper leaking is the chain getting caught during the flush. It does not matter now since you changed it all out but sometimes it is just an adjustment to the chain that will fix that.

2nd. Your water level in your bowl is determined by two things. The water remaining in the bowl after the flush and the water sent to the bowl through the tube that goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube in the tank. Sometimes this tube is not there or is not pointing into the overflow tube. If that is the case, fix that and the water in your bowl will increase. If it is pointing in the overflow tube then I guess the water you get is the water you get.