Japanese / Chinese Toilets User experience?

Old 02-07-17, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Japanese / Chinese Toilets User experience?

Hey,

After receiving such quick and helpful replies about an issue with my bathroom, I thought I might as well ask around for advice about the toilet area!

I've always been fascinated with the idea of having one of those automatic toilets that clean themselves and have all sorts of function to clean my private areas as well!

Although I already have a pretty furbished bathroom, I was wondering a few things:

1) what are these Chinese or Japanese toilets called that sprinkle water and do all the fancy things?

2) are there any other brands that are more accessible outside of Asia?

3) Price range?

4) Are there any alternatives in case it's too hard to install (my bathroom is pretty small)

5) Does anyone own a toilet like this and can they share their user experience and the different functions?

Now that I'm getting older (in my late 20's) I'm also more concerned about my health etc. (my family seems to have issues with hemorrhoids) and I heard these type of toilets are perfect for optimal Hygiene.

Looking forward to the replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-17, 08:50 AM
I don't own one, but I occasionally see Bidet Attachments in homes.

I can't recommend any particular brand, but some of the ones I've seen look nice and seem to function well. Several customers have asked me to check out the plumbing on them and I saw no problems.

Here's a recent thread where a member was asking about the water supply line:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...quivalent.html

Old 02-07-17, 09:20 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you search for integrated toilet/bidet you will find most of them. Kohler makes one high end model. You may want to look at the biobidet unit; it's probably the least expensive integrated unit with integrated bidet and air dry at about $1600 price point. Most are more like twice that.

My biggest worry about such a unit would be service and parts availability, since the internals are far from standard. You have the electronic controller and display, plus all the electric controlled valves, heaters, etc, to make it all work. A *lot* more complicated than typical toilet, with a lot more to go awry. And I would certainly want to make sure it will at least flush if the power's out!

Old 02-07-17, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
FYI, the OP is in Luxembourg.

Old 02-07-17, 09:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
The add on units that attach to a standard toilet can be called a "washlet". There are also heated seats that are easy to install. Toto is another brand to consider but you can do an online search for manufacturers common in your country.

Old 02-07-17, 10:27 AM
Hey @Handyone,
That's an interesting little attachment! Going to look further into that! thanks!!

Old 02-07-17, 10:50 AM
@CarbideTipped,

Gee... $1600 and most double? That's quite a bit but I guess with all the functions to be expected right?
I had to laugh out loud a little when you said that you'd make sure it can at least flush when there's no electricity! Very good point!
As for the brand itself, they look very high end and snazzy actually! Thanks a lot for that. But I don't think I can afford to rip out my current toilet and install a new one plus the cost of the actual toilet and construction , new tiles etc :/ maybe in a few years

Old 02-07-17, 10:54 AM
Hey @Pilot Dane,
Oh my days! That looks like the perfect solution! Plus the heated seat seems a bit too good to be true almost
Will definitely try to find them in stores somewhere here or similar brands. They don't seem ridiculous in price either ($400 upwards!)
Do you own any of these by any chance?

Old 02-07-17, 04:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
I have heated seats in my home and they are well loved especially in winter. All of the toilets in my house are located on interior, un-insulated walls so I installed outlets down low near the toilets so the installation is very unobtrusive. You really can't tell they are heated until you sit down. They were about $120 USD when I got them.

Old 02-08-17, 06:13 AM
@Pilot Dane,
yea I can already imagine the joy I'd have when having a heated seat. Especially in winter or during the night as it kind of wakes me up when I'm sitting down and start to freeze instead of remaining tired and ready for bed.
$120 seems like a real good price! Do you just have the perks of heat or also the washing or washlet/ bidet bit that sprinkles water?

Old 02-08-17, 06:44 AM
Hey @Handyone,

I just found this extensive review on the washlet/bidet attachments that look exactly like on the thread you posted in your response!
Here's the link ****
I think these are the easiest solution as they are far cheaper than the Kohler models mentioned by @carbideTipped and even the Toto models (which I'm also leaning towards too actually since they have heated seats).
However in your reply you said that "several customers have asked" you to check the plumbing and you saw no problems?
The review seems to mention on almost all (if not all) the models that there is going to be leaking?
Do you think that's just because people haven't installed them properly or because the product is just simply not that amazing?
I find it hard to believe that all the 10 models would leak?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-08-17 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 02-08-17, 07:57 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
FWIW...I installed two LUXE Bidet Neo180 (or 380). Best thing ever. And these are very inexpensive. I bought them through WOOT and paid under $50 each. They are available in most home improvement stores.

After using these I reluctantly use toilets that don't have bidets. Most European and Japanese have these. It seems very stupid of us Americans not to have these. It's basic sanitary common sense. Also very soothing if you have hemorrhoids (so I'm told ).

However, as many people think, it won't reduce you use of TP, in fact it may increase it's use.

Old 02-08-17, 08:53 AM
Hey @Norm201
To be honest I live in Europe and haven't seen any of these yet. Except in Italy where they have the bidets separate from their toilets. So don't be to harsh on your country
I am actually going over the review I posted below over and over again trying to decide if I should get one of these!

Have you experienced any leaking with your Neo180? That price is unbeatable to be fair!

Old 02-08-17, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
I only have heated seats.

Old 02-08-17, 11:12 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I'm not a world traveler and I only repeat what I have heard from many others. My understanding is that most European countries have them but maybe not every house hold.

Never had leak on either one. They use a tee fitting that taps off the inlet valve. The model 180 uses only the cold water, while the 380 has a hot water provision. I only use the cold water. In most cases it will require additional plumbing to run a hot water line. And sometimes depending where the sink might be located, it's not possible. After the first few times the "shock" of cold water is not a problem and becomes second nature. Besides if located any kind of distance, the hot water will need to run several minutes before you can get a warm mixture. Not worth the effort, plumbing or the waste of water.

I highly recommend this unit because of ease and low cost.

Old 02-09-17, 06:27 AM
I'm glad to hear that neither of your models have had a leak. That was my only concern after going through the review.
That they only use cold water is probably the least of my concerns as long as the water comes out I couldn't be bothered with the whole mess of installing the additional plumbing and letting the water run a bit before it heats up.
Thanks for all your help! Definitely ordering this in the weekend!

Old 02-09-17, 07:50 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
When cleaning up a spill, clean up as much as you can using dry paper towels or rags before getting out the cleaining fluid.
1. The bottle of cleaining fluid will last longer.
2. Less of a mushy mess.

The above is generic and applies to all cleaning jobs everywhere and worldwide and in or under automobiles. It is left to the imagination of the reader to extrapolate that to the subject of a fancy toilet that washes your private parts.

Old 09-23-17, 01:37 AM
TOTO water spray not working

There is a grey plastic piece ciovering - does this need to be removed please ?

Old 09-23-17, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Covering what? And you should really start your own thread with more details.

Old 09-24-17, 02:25 AM

There is a grey plastic piece covering the water spray - does this need to be removed please ?
Its just been installed and the water spray does not come out
Regards

Old 09-24-17, 10:02 AM
Don't remove the grey tip, that is your "special" gasket/seal and is needed to prevent leaks.
If there are no leaks from the water supply, I'm not sure why water would not come out.
Also, is the grey tip inside the white nut shown in the picture?

Attached Images