bathtub slip-on diverter spout wiggles

Old 02-13-17, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
bathtub slip-on diverter spout wiggles

I am looking for tips on how to install a tub diverter slip-on spout properly so it does not wiggle. I have a couple of do-it-yourself books from the library and they don't address this problem. I've also been unable to find any help searching online with Google. The copper pipe I'm attaching the spout to does not wiggle at all. I am installing a slip-on spout which is almost identical to the one I'm replacing. I bought the new one for about $18.

About four years ago, I had the same issue in another bathroom of my home. I thought the problem might have been that the copper pipe was slightly indented and had flaws on its surface caused by the old slip-on spout's set screw. I eventually had a plumber do the job and he tightened the set screw with the spout at an angle and then rotated the spout to the proper downward pointing position. He did a great job and the spout still has no wiggle to it. (Unfortunately, he no longer works in the area.)

The copper pipe in the bathroom I am currently working on also has a slight indentation and surface flaws from the set screw. I am wondering about the possibility of doing what the plumber did in my other bathroom, but I can't tell if the spout has the capability of rotating once it is secured with the set screw. Do slip-on spouts typically have the capability to rotate? Is there a way to figure out whether the one I have can rotate?

I am also wondering if the wiggling problem is caused (or partly caused) by the spout not being exactly flush against the wall? When I tried installing my new spout I could not get it to stay flush with the wall. The spout moved a little away from the wall when I tightened the set screw. I think it might have moved due to the copper pipe's indentation and surface flaws.

I am also wondering if the problem might be that the new spout's set screw does not line up in exactly the same spot on the copper pipe as the old spout's set screw.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-17, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The spout brand/model would help but probably not necessary.

As far as wiggling, ensure the spout can sit flat against the wall with no gaps. You might need a tubing cutter to shorten the pipe a little. For example the spout might require a 3" max stub out.

Do slip-on spouts typically have the capability to rotate?
There are usually no rotating parts, but you will rotate the spout:

- Shorten the pipe and clean it lightly with emery cloth
- Push the spout on upside down and gently tighten the screw until it grabs
- Rotate the spout CW into position and tighten screw again from the bottom. Don't overtighten the set screw.

Rotating the spout with the set screw in position will not dig into the pipe but it will burnish it a little.

Old 02-14-17, 09:58 AM
Brian gave good advice. I will add that it's not a bad idea to seal the spout/wall junction with clear silicone. Leave a little gap in the silicone under the spout so any water that makes it way in can drain out. The silicone will stop any minor wiggling of the spout, as well as prevent splashed water or water from the shower head getting into the wall area.

Old 02-14-17, 09:25 PM
Handyone, thanks for your help.

The spout is a Mixet and the model number appears to be SWD0422 D.

The max stub out is 2.5 inches, but I think the pipe is within that length.

When I tried to install the spout yesterday I was able to initially place it flush with the wall, but the upper part of the spout moved a little away from the wall when I tightened the set screw. I think the pipe may be sloping downward very slightly so maybe that's why the spout does not stay flush with the wall when I tighten the screw.

- Push the spout on upside down and gently tighten the screw until it grabs
- Rotate the spout CW into position and tighten screw again from the bottom. Don't overtighten the set screw.
Other than providing easier access to the set screw, is there a reason that the spout should be upside down when tightening the screw until it grabs? When I tried to install the spout yesterday I first placed the spout into position and then did all the tightening of the screw from that position.

Old 02-14-17, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input CarbideTipped. I was planning on caulking and have some silicone caulk for the job. The prior spout was not caulked with silicone and it cracked--probably from the spout wiggling when the diverter mechanism was pulled up. I'll make sure to leave a gap in the silicone under the spout as you suggested.