Replaced my first faucet washer today!

Old 02-15-17, 07:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced my first faucet washer today!

1971 house with a laundry sink in the basement and you really had to tighten then handles to stop the faucet from dripping.

I had never done this before in my life, but was curious. I think what I have is a compression type faucet handle. Anyways, I loosened the screw and pried the handle off. I then took out the valve stem and took it with me to the hardware and the guy found me a washer that fit the bottom.

I put it all back together and it worked great! Anyways, I was wondering. Afterwards I got to reading about faucet repair and things on the internet and saw that I should've "greased the washer". Should I worry about it?

Also, I noticed a little calcium buildup or something on around parts of the valve stem where the threads are, but not on the threads that I remember. Should I worry about cleaning this off? It's like a light green color substance?

Anyways the handle closes so effortlessly now and tomorrow I'm going to replace the washer on the HOT side! I can't wait! LOL ....

EDIT: Maybe it's Lime scale instead of calcium buildup? It's like a light green chalky substance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-17, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You state you made the repairs and it worked great. So, basically it isn't broke, but you seem to think there is a need to worry about it? Worry about it when it breaks again.

Old 02-16-17, 04:53 AM
B
You state you made the repairs and it worked great. So, basically it isn't broke, but you seem to think there is a need to worry about it? Worry about it when it breaks again.
Thanks chandler, makes sense! By the way, what else could I do to upgrade this sink, etc? I might paint it white this spring. I can use this to hone my plumbing and sink installing skills. Should I drop in a new sink? How about a new top counter?? You can tell it's cheap and outdated. How could I may this area look better .... for cheap(er)?

Any suggestions welcome please ...

Also what type of faucet is that? Is that a porcelain sink?
Name:  IMG_0846JPG.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0845JPG.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  23.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0847JPG.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 02-16-17, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Painting a sink is only a last ditch, temporary option. Despite what the package says it will probably show scratches and marks within a year. The best option is to replace the sink. In your case it probably would make the job easier to also replace the counter since the new sink likely will not match the old cut out.

Old 02-16-17, 05:35 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Being what you referred to as a laundry sink in the basement, I would give it a good cleaning, tell your hardware guy what you have and they will have something that will most likely improve it, clean the cabinet with a good household cleaner, and call it good for now. If you do go ahead and replace it, again, being in the basement, I would probably check out the local Restore if you have any. Ours always has plenty of like new sinks and vanities. As far as functionality, don't know how practical this might be in the basement, but I like higher faucets on laundry sinks, to make it easier to fill cleaning buckets, etc.

Old 02-16-17, 03:13 PM
B
Changed out the HOT handle washer tonight and now they both work like brand new! Surprising what two 29 cent washers and a half hour can do! I shined up the sink with some Comet.

By the way is this a porcelain sink?

Name:  IMG_0848JPG.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  22.4 KB

How can I clean this up? Can I put a new drain in or just clean it?
Name:  IMG_0850JPG.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  27.1 KB

Found these under the sink. They look old, not sure the year, but looks like the 60s or 70s to me! Does anyone know anything about this soap?

Name:  IMG_0853JPG.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  35.3 KB