Shower drain won't seat flush to tub

Old 02-17-17, 02:05 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain won't seat flush to tub

I removed the drain to clear up a hair clog. I reinstalled and had a huge leak on the first floor.

Upon reinspection of my repair, I see that the PVC comes in at an angle to the tub, which prevents the rubber seal between the boot and the tub from compressing evenly. This imperfection also prevents the drain from being able to seat flat in the (slightly recessed/graduated) hole. I guess the way they had it from new construction just happened to work out without any leaks.

I tried to tighten it down a few different ways, using plenty of putty to cover the asymmetrical cavities created by the non-flush seating. The pictures attached are the best I could do.

There's no trap door, otherwise I might try to pull the pipe down while tightening the drain to allow it to seat flush.

As long as I have plenty of putty surrounding the drain, should I be good? What else might I do to make sure I've got a proper seal?

Re: pics, notice how the drain is tilting towards the back.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Name:  IMG_4154.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  12.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4155.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4157.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  15.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-17, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro here but usually you remove the tub drain lever assembly and clean thru there. You're going to have more problems there. As soon as someone steps on the drain the putty will flatten and it will leak. The top of the strainer needs to be tight to the tub.

Name:  tub.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  21.6 KB

The red circled area is usually where the clog is.
The blue arrow points to the handle/drain assembly you pull out to clean thru.

You need to push up on the drain pipe and hold it tight to the tub as it's tightened.
You may to make a small hole in the ceiling below to get your hand in there and hold the fitting tight to the bottom of the tub while the strainer is tightened from above.

Old 02-18-17, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is there any way to gain access to this area? Even if it means cutting a hole in the ceiling below it and creating a "trap door" so to speak for future access? You already will have to repair the ceiling, so making access makes sense.

Using Pete's pictures, note the nut above the red circle. It can be loosened and the attitude of the drain can be adjusted so it lays flat in the recess. Plumber's putty is correct IF you can get a flat lay of the drain. If there is any movement, it will leak. You may have brass or chrome plated plumbing parts, which can easily be retrofitted to pvc if you wanted. Easier to work with.