Glass thickness required for bathtub

Old 02-20-17, 02:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glass thickness required for bathtub

I will have a 26x36 glass panel in one of the walls of my new bathtub alcove walls. Based on what I have read I need tempered glass, but I don't know how thick to make it.

Does anyone here know what code requires for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-17, 05:02 AM
Received 365 Votes on 341 Posts
Your glass shop will know, they will have to most likely order it so they will be best to know!

Old 02-20-17, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
The thickness will depend on how you use it. I would talk with your inspectors to find out what they want to see. After all it's their signature you need and you don't want to be on the bad side of their judgement call.

If it is free standing or unsupported on a side or two then you'll likely need "heavy glass", probably 3/8". Code may not specify the thickness but that's sort of the industry minimum for unsupported glass. If it's framed in and supported on all four sides you can probably use anything as long as it's tempered. Whichever way you go make sure the temper logo is visible after installation.

Old 02-20-17, 08:09 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This will be a piece secured on 3 sides. Nothing mounted to it. No holes in the glass. A picture window of sorts. The photo below is from a bathroom renovation video showing the glass panel. It is attached on the bottom and sides. No channel or attachment on the top (even though the pic does not show it).

Name:  2017-02-20_10-06-44.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  20.3 KB