Non rusting Chrome Flange for shower? Brass?

Old 02-25-17, 09:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non rusting Chrome Flange for shower? Brass?

I everyone, I have been needing to replace a flange in the shower every year or so because it keeps rusting. I am looking for a permanent solution. The ones Ive been getting are standard few dollar ones from Lowes/Home Depot. I was looking to maybe order brass ones instead of steel but those are about 8 times more expensive (around $20 each). Does brass rust? Is that the best solution (id like to avoid plastic unless its so good you cant tell the difference).

Photo of the one I just replaced today - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

PS - the new one that i put on I coated with clear Rustoleum... hopefully that will do the job... but if not id like to hear ideas to what to get to solve this permanently?

Whats interesting is that the whole shower is chrome, including the other shower head having a flage that has never rusted even though thats the main one that we use and it gets wet almost every day.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-17, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, ya get what ya pay for. The chrome plating is going to be so thin on the cheap ones you could probably rub through it in normal cleaning.

Brass doesn't rust, but it will tarnish unless it has a coating of some sort. If you mean chrome plated solid brass, then that would be best.

Not sure but they may make stainless steel. Won't be cheap and may not match your others exactly.

And what you are looking for is actually called an escutcheon, might help in a search.

Old 02-26-17, 01:56 AM
C
Thanks for the reply and name correction.

How is this even a product if it cant really do its primary job (look nice). Why are they using crappy rustin metal underneath (I know.. I know... cheap...)... but what baffles me is that, do they expect people to replace these every year or two? Most would prolly have to call a plumber for the job since they wouldnt have a clue what to do.... seems weird.

and second baffling thing is lack of choices... Lowes/Home Depot only have these cheap crappy ones, I would have more of an understanding if they offered good ones and bad ones... and well if you wanted cheap then you got what you paid for... but like these are the only option. Have to special order anything better. I just dont understand... do people really use these and replace them every year or two?

Old 02-26-17, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
They also sell them made out of plastic.

Old 02-26-17, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Buy this one and be done with it. Lifetime Warranty. They'll send it to you free. MOEN Shower Arm Flange in Chrome-AT2199 - The Home Depot

Old 02-26-17, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
No, people don't replace them every year or 2, because people, for their own use, buy quality products as a rule. Cheap spec houses put up by bad builders and slum lords on the other hand......

Oh, and people sprucing up a place to sell (flippers) sure aren't likely to buy a bunch of $15-20 escutcheons when no one will know the difference until they've lived there a year.

You should look at plumbingsupply.com and look at some of their prices for "designer" versions. How does $50-80 A PIECE strike your fancy?

Old 02-26-17, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
If the one mentioned isn't in your store, order online and have it in less than a week, in most cases. I just did that for some Rubbermaid plastic paper towel holders, of all things. NOBODY carried them in stock.

Old 02-26-17, 06:59 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
If they are rusting within a years time, you have bigger problems. Even cheap ones should hold up at least a year. Do you have a venting fan and do you use it? You should be wiping them down after each shower. You must have lots of humidity for that to happen so quickly. If you have pipes that sweat you need to resolve that problem. When you place them get this type. They're easier to install.

I have never replaced any of my living quarter escutcheons and I bought the cheapest I could find. In the basement, yes, they rust.

Old 02-26-17, 10:29 PM
C
Well I do have a vent fan (and its turned on every time there is a shower). Me and my wife use that shower and so most of the time its used 2 times a day. Mirrors dont typically fog up in the room when showers are taken, unless its freezing like it is right now and we take a hot shower... so in other words for most of the year the ventilation seems fine?

As far as longetivity... I cant say for sure how long its been... maybe 2 years? before the rust appeared? Somewhere between 1 year and 2 years.

Whats weird as I said in my original post, is that the shower has 2 shower heads... and this one (one we dont really use) is the one rusting.. rest of the showers are chome metal... no other piece rusts... just this thing... here is a picture. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet