Bathroom Sink - Hot Handle

Old 03-03-17, 09:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Sink - Hot Handle

Can anyone tell me what causes this and how to go about correcting it?

Name:  20170303_235719.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  16.6 KBName:  20170303_235726.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  17.9 KBName:  20170303_235733.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  14.1 KB

The handle is very stiff to turn. My instinct was to replace the valve stem. However, I'm no expert, so before I start taking things apart I wanted to seek the advice of those more knowledgeable than me.

On a larger scale related to the same issue, at least one or two other hot handles in upstairs bathrooms are also quite stiff to turn, although not as bad as this one, and not with the noticeable build up. All cold handles are fine.

If anyone can tell me why this may be more than coincidence and what the bigger issue is, I'd welcome that input as well.

1970's home in northern NJ, just moved in a few months ago.

Thanks!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-17, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
First, you have a leak in the cartridge. Secondly you have hard water and the water is causing calcification of the metal. Since it is happening to only hot water, I would say the zinc sacrificial rod in the water heater is depleted and needs replacing. Probably hasn't been attended to since the water heater was installed. Try to find out the age of the water heater, as it may be at EOL and needs replacing, anyway, so replacing the zinc rod may be putting a bandaid on heart surgery.

Old 03-04-17, 07:25 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler

Ok so now to let my ignorance show...

"cartridge" = "stem"?

Also, for someone like me who is capable of changing a faucet, replacing a drain trap, installing a fill valve in a toilet, but not much more... Is the HW zinc rod a DIY job? (assuming the water heater itself isn't dying).

Thanks again!
Chris

Old 03-04-17, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Chris, you can turn the water off to the sink(s) and remove the hot water side. Now whether or not it is a cartridge type or not, I don't know, but you'll find out quickly. If it is, you can take it to the plumbing store of box store and match it up for a replacement. I would get some CLR to use with a toothbrush on the corrosion to get rid of it.

As far as the zinc anode rod, it is fairly straight forward. You will need to turn off the water heater and turn off the water to the house if you don't have individual ball valves at the water heater for both cold and hot. You will need to drain a little of the water out so you will lose head pressure. The anode is right between the hot and cold water inlet/outlets which will take a wrench or socket to remove. It pulls straight up and out. I'd also have a new one ready by getting one from the store ahead of time.