Securing bathtub Escutcheon

Old 03-06-17, 11:15 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Securing bathtub Escutcheon

Afternoon everyone. This may qualify as a silly DIY question, but I figured better to ask before I do something that will soak the whole bathroom. I am currently looking to secure a bathtub escutcheon that is currently not even secured to wall in any way. Which also means that when you pull the handle to draw water for the bathtub, the entire thing moves. Before I take off the faucet handle to bolt the escutcheon on, does the water need to be turned off?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-17, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
No you don't have to turn off the water. It sounds like the problem is that your valve is no longer anchored to the framing.

Old 03-06-17, 11:36 AM
U
Is that an easy fix, or will just securing the escutcheon be enough?

Old 03-06-17, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
The escutcheon attaches to the valve. If the valve can move, so will the escutcheon. Once you take the escutcheon off you will know whether or not there is enough room to clamp the valve down. You may need to enlarge the hole a little. I can't tell since I can't see it.

Old 03-06-17, 12:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Often the valve body is accessed through the wall on the back side. The valve body should be screwed or nailed securely to the framing. If the handle moves in and out or can wiggle around it's a good sign that the valve is not attached. Hopefully there will be some framing accessible through the escutcheon hole otherwise you'll need to open up the wall on the other side to attach it. Personally, I would not even attempt to attach through the escutcheon hole as you have so little area to work. I'd just go ahead and cut an access hole in the wall behind. You can cover the hole with an access cover or repair the sheetrock.

Old 03-06-17, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Some valves simply have a flange with a mounting hole and if you can get a magnetic drill driver extension and a screw in through the hole, it is easy peasy.

Old 03-06-17, 01:23 PM
U
Thank you everyone. All of the help is very much appreciated.