Help me identify this piece that fell from my sink, please

Old 03-10-17, 10:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me identify this piece that fell from my sink, please

The faucet in our kitchen sink has been getting wobbly lately. A couple of days ago, this piece in the first two pics, fell down below the sink. I'm not sure where it goes. It looks pretty corroded, which is surprising because we had a new Pfister put in about 5 years ago. I'm assuming I'll have to replace it.

Three questions here:

(1) Can anyone tell me what this piece is called?

(2) Also, I'm not sure if I'll have to get a nut to hold it down. If so, can someone tell me if I need one?

(3) Finally, which outlet does it need to go in? I took 2 pics of the inside of our sink, so you can see the lines running through the faucet.

Name:  SinkB.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  PieceA.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  26.3 KBName:  PieceB.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  27.6 KBName:  Sink.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  42.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-17, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Not sure of name but that is the install clamp. It goes on the stud you can see in picture 4. The long shaft on it is the nut and it screws on the stud. The c part of it pushes against bottom of sink.

Old 03-10-17, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Did two clips fall ?
The clips in those two pictures look different unless it's one broken in two pieces.

Usually that type of clip goes around the water lines and is at the center of the faucet.

Can you post a picture of the top of the faucet for the style.

Name:  SinkB.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 03-10-17, 12:40 PM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
I would call Pfister customer service and tell them their sheet metal nut for securing the faucet to the sink has failed {rusted out) in less than 5 years. Tell them you would like a real nut for your model or a new faucet. If that fails, take the rusted sheet metal nut (or the faucet if you feel comfortable removing it) to a plumbing store and see if they can come up with a real nut (I am assuming there are threads on the stub protruding below the top of the sink). Good luck

Old 03-10-17, 01:53 PM
P
No, that piece is one piece, not two--its just from two different angles. I wanted folks to be able to see what I was working with, as much as possible.

Old 03-10-17, 01:56 PM
P
Here is the top of the faucet. Shoot, uploaded wrong pic.

Not sure how to delete the map. I'll upload the proper photo in a sec.

EDIT: Figured out how to delete pics.

OK, I rotated the pic, so it should be right side up this time.

Attachment 78137

Old 03-10-17, 02:02 PM
P
I think this is the right one.

Name:  20170310_135506.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  34.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-10-17 at 03:23 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 03-10-17, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
The tall piece on the C looking part is the nut. It should turn or come apart from C part. It goes on stud seen in right of picture 4. Here is a page of installation videos. You will have to match yours up.
How-To Center - Installation Videos | Pfister Faucets

Old 03-10-17, 02:17 PM
P
Thanks. I looked for a Pfister unit entitled "Cheapskate," but they didn't have one. I was able to indentify what I have, with one of those videos.

Seriously, what I have is, as someone has suggested, two pieces. The C part is a horseshoe washer, and the long part is a mounting nut.

I will call Pfister, or perhaps just call Lowes and see if they have this piece.

Thanks a lot.

Old 03-10-17, 02:46 PM
P
Called Pfister, and they will send out a new unit (both pieces) free of charge. Only problem is that it will take 7-10 business days, but this will be cheaper than a new unit.

Really can't believe that this piece is so corroded.

Is this common for lower end units? Parts, installation, and labor would have cost us between $100 and 200. If it was more than that, I would have remembered.

Old 03-10-17, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Here is the install video that most closely matches your model. You'll see they put plumbers putty between the faucet and the sink. That is to keep the water from running under the faucet and right on to the clip that just rusted thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XIvZJ3eP08

Name:  pfister.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  25.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-10-17 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 04:24 PM
I see sinks like this all the time. I would recommend a new faucet.
More importantly I would recommend you change your angle stops (valves) below the sink. The corrugated lines that are coming from the wall valves are very easy to break off.

I do a lot of adapting lines in a new faucet install, but I will not adapt lines like yours. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Old 03-19-17, 06:11 PM
P
I finally got the replacement piece, and looked under the sink this weekend.

Major problem. Viewing the youtube video that Pjmax linked to, at 1:49, the instructions are to "remove the long mounting nut." My problem is that there isn't anything to connect the new mounting nut to. The rusted piece that fell off evidently contains it. All there is (apart from three lines that you see in the video) is a rusted point that disintegrates when I touch it.

So does this mean that I have to simply buy a new faucet? I suppose I'd have to take the faucet off to attach a replacement to whatever the mounting nut is supposed to attach to....

Old 03-19-17, 07:31 PM
That faucet is not worth repairing IMO.
If you do want to repair it you need a new mounting stud, it has broken off completely.
The threaded stud screws into the middle bottom (body) and that's what you screw the long nut onto.
Screw in new stud, then slide horseshoe washer on, then long nut.

Old 03-19-17, 07:32 PM
P
OK thanks Brian. If we do get it replaced, I'll have the guy look at the valves, like you suggested.

Old 03-24-17, 01:27 PM
P
Brian, at least one other plumber shares your views. The guy we brought over said he wanted to replace those pipes, so I certainly let him. I decided to replace the whole unit, and told the guy I didn't want to pay bottom dollar for the lowest quality unit. So I'll see how long this one lasts.

Thanks to everyone who posted here.