Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water closet losing steam

03-14-17, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Water closet losing steam

Thanks for reading
My 3.5 yo Kohler Santa Rosa (K-38) seems to have lost flush power about 6mo. ago. Following up on suggestions I have verified: correct bowl fill height, correct tank fill height (right to the brim of the overflow), and all slack removed from the handle/chain. Still nothing. 2 flush minimum. It has never clogged proper (not that the bowl accommodates a plunger).
Now I'm thinking the problem may be downwind - worth a snake rental?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

03-14-17, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Lost flush power...... what does that mean ?

If it were a waste line problem/clog it would overflow when flushed.

~ Pete ~

03-14-17, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Since new, it behaved much like a dual-flush unit - press and release would be adequate for most jobs, using approx half a tank. Press and hold for a full flush would never(!) leave anything behind.

For the last few months a half-flush doesn't even achieve drain siphon. Most jobs now frequently need two full flushes.

Group Moderator

NJ

03-14-17, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)  
OK.... thanks for the better explanation.

I'm not the pro here just trying to get some idea of the problem.

A question..... does the bowl level rise significantly before it starts to drain.... almost to the point it could overflow ?

~ Pete ~

03-14-17, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Nope, not significantly at all. Flush seems normal, just no oomph.

CAL

03-15-17, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Hello,
There are a couple of reasons for the problem you are having.
Pour a bucket of water into the toilet bowl. Does it flush? If no plunge it or get a bowl auger to clear it. If it flushes the problem may be a lime build up in the bowl. Clear all the holes under the rim and the jet in the bottom of the toilet bowl. You can use a wire or small screw driver.
I use muratic acid because it can get where a wire can’t. I use about a quart and pour it into the overflow tube in the tank I let it set for about a half hour then flush.
Muratic acid is used in swimming pools to balance the PH.
I use to get it at Home Depot but thiers is weak. Last time I bought it, I got it at Ace Hardware the muriatic acid 31% hydrogen chloride,
Woodbutcher

Good Luck Woodbutcher

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-16-17, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Clear all the holes under the rim and the jet in the bottom of the toilet bowl. You can use a wire or small screw driver.
That was my thought also. I haven't had to do that in decades but a piece of coat hanger works well. If I remember correctly that is an issue usually caused by minerals in the water.

Since it does flush ok once the water gets to the bowl it's not likely to be a drain issue.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-20-17, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Thanks for all the feedback. I drained the bowl and added some Calcium/Lime/Rust remover I had on hand, let it sit 30 min and then went at the bottom jet with a coat hanger - seems like there is definitely more flush power after the cleaning. I may attempt this again in a few weeks with a full quart. Thanks again!

Group Moderator

NJ

03-20-17, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Next time you add that..... pour it down the little standpipe tube in the tank.
It will run down the inside of the bowl.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread