Using A Sani Seal Question?

Old 03-25-17, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using A Sani Seal Question?

Hi, I have an old Standard toilet, that is in very good shape and I want to use a sani seal instead of a wax seal but my toilet has four bolts instead of two holding it down. will a sani seal still work on it, need to know before I lift it up to change it? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-17, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
I'm not the plumbing pro but I've seen mixed reactions here to the Sani Seal (rubber toilet seal)

I'll ask the question that usually gets asked.... why that one over a wax seal ?

Old 03-25-17, 12:55 PM
because the wax seal can easily get out of shape if you use a plunger on it wax does not go back and losses its seal. thats what happen to this toilet. but he sani seal pops right back into a sealing position and it last forever and no mess if you have to lift the toilet. a wax seal once you set it you cannot move it without it losing its shape(seal). do you have an answer to my question, will the extra two bolts toward the back of the toilet cause a problem with the balance of the sani seal?

Old 03-25-17, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
No... I don't have a direct answer to your question.

Old 03-25-17, 02:09 PM
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
The four-bolt toilets I have seen are very old and generally it is the two forward bolts that do not go into the flange. Nevertheless, as long as the two "extra" bolts do not touch the Sani-Seal you should be fine.

Old 03-25-17, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 188 Posts
Wax rings do not fail due to plunging. They fail because of toilet movement. If your toilet flange is broken, bolts not holding or the floor is rotten then the toilet can wiggle and the wax ring will eventually fail.

Sani Seals work initially but over time the air gets squeezed out of the closed cell foam and it looses it's ability to spring back and it leaks. This problem is worst when the Sani Seal is squished very hard. If it is only lightly compressed then it can accommodate movement.

Old 03-26-17, 07:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A client bought one of the SaniSeal rings for their toilet. The flange sat right above the tile floor. The SaniSeal would not let the toilet sit flush on the floor, no matter how much pressure I put on it. I removed it, put in a wax ring, squished it out and felt better about the install.

Old 03-26-17, 11:52 AM
Ok Guys, I think i am going to go with the fluid master no wax seal instead. like furd said i hope the two extra bolts dont give me a problem, from the outside, they look like they are far enough from the flange, but wont know for sure until i take it up and look. i never saw a toilet with more than two bolts holding it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAEwudpeQFo

Old 03-27-17, 04:23 AM
Please let us know how it works out. Always interested in new technologies.

Old 03-27-17, 04:59 AM
Furd: Thank you for answer my question about the 4 bolts thats good to know. you stuck to my original question and i appreciate it very much.

OptsyEagle, Will do

Old 05-14-17, 11:30 AM
OptsyEagle: Sorry it took so long to get back to you as i promised i would do. Well, i put a new "Fluidmaster Better Than Wax Seal" under the toilet and it works fantastic. I would recommend this to anyone. no more messy wax and you can take it up over and over again if you had to, just so you know, Thanks Guys