Sprayer / nonstandard fitting

Old 03-27-17, 07:19 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sprayer / nonstandard fitting

I have a sparyer the I really ant to use with my sink, but it has a nonstandard fitting- it is 1/2" but doesn't fit MIP or Flare threads- it seems finer. I contacted the mfg., but they don't have a fitting for this. My last try was to get a 1/2" FIP PVC coupler and try to get the metal threads in the sprayer handle to cut a fresh thread into the PVC, but it wouldn't do it. How can I get this to work? I was thinking about heating the fitting, but I don't know if there are washers or anything heat-sensitive that I would damage- Should I try for a piece of PVC with a smooth interior, or is there a better way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-17, 08:48 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Please post a picture and the manufacturer name.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Try to measure the pitch of the threads (number of threads per inch), keeping in mind it may be metric; that may give us a clue.

Old 03-27-17, 10:03 PM
F
Name:  IMG_2484.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  29.0 KB This fitting is the exact match I need- I am coming off the handle with the male end. Looks like about 4.5 threads per quarter-inch, or about 18 TPI. It also looks like the pipe is barely over 1/2" (14mm") as a 5/8 seems a little too big and 1/2 usually seems a bit small. How do I cut a copy of a thread?

Thanks in advance I guess!

Old 03-27-17, 10:12 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
It's a straight thread so it's most likely a compression fitting.

Old 03-28-17, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
What is a "sprayer"!..........Is this a deck mounted kitchen sink sprayer?

If so they are normally meant to be attached to a kitchen faucet that has a dedicated connection for it.
Kitchen sprayers normally work by bypassing water from the faucet when it is operated.
A lot like when you raise a lever on the tub spout to operate a bath shower.

If you know the mfr you should be able to get installation instructions for it.

Old 03-28-17, 05:17 AM
F
This isn't a matter of instructions or documentation. I have a sink that has a standard fitting that I need an extended length hose for- an icemaker 1/4 NPT hose is connected to the sink and delivers that volume I need easily. I need the handle of the sprayer to connect. It's not a standard fitting, and I have contacted the manufacturer and they do not have an adapter. I need to create my own. I have a close fit, where if I had the right combination of tools and technique, I could cut a thread into a PVC adapter, and with a washer it would work.... just not sure how to match and cut the thread..... Any ideas?

Old 03-28-17, 05:21 AM
C
It could be M14-1.5. Only way to tell for sure is to get a metric pitch gauge to confirm the pitch, and then measure the major and minor diameters with a metric scale. Or you could take it to a hardware store and find a metric bolt that meshes with the threads....that will tell you the pitch.

Once you are sure of thread type/size, you can find an adapter of correct size, or buy a tap of the correct size and make your own adapter.

Old 03-28-17, 07:10 AM
F
Good idea!

Maybe I'm jumping ahead a bit, but let's say I identify the thread by threading a nut onto the fitting. (I haven't even left the plumbing section!) where would I find a tap for that- I wouldn't think they'd carry it at a big-box store. Do I get something like that on Amazon?

By the way- I love the signature- as a fairly new homeowner, it is SO true!

Old 03-28-17, 08:12 AM
C
Lots of places to get metric (if it turns out to be metric) taps, but big box store is probably not one of them as you say. Online, a really good hardware store, industrial suppliers like Grainger or McMaster Carr; those would be good options. Also, auto parts stores tend to have more metric stuff since it is common on cars. In fact, M14-1.5 is a fairly common lug nut size.

You may not find a nut that will thread on, but you can use any size bolt to determine the pitch of the thread by trying to line up the bolt threads with the threads on your fitting. Even if diameter is different, if the pitch is right the threads will mesh together.

Old 03-28-17, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
There is a whole lot of speculation and guessing about what you actually have.
Exactly what "sprayer" is this?

If you happen to have a commercial kitchen sprayer it would send this conversation in a whole other direction.