Showerhead is leaking from the bottom-most holes in the head, despite fixes

Old 03-28-17, 11:42 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Showerhead is leaking from the bottom-most holes in the head, despite fixes

I have a showerhead (visually similar to this one) that has a persistent drip, originating from the bottom-most hole in the head at about one drop per second or two.

My interpretation is that water is filling up inside the head, and then dripping out the lowest hole since that's the least path of resistance. If I tilt the head upwards to its highest angle, the dripping stops for a couple seconds before starting again: my assumption is that the water leaking inside it has to fill up to the now-higher point before it starts dripping again.

I've soaked/cleaned the head in vinegar for a day, replaced the showerhead's gasket, re-wrapped the connection with teflon tape (clockwise), re-attaching and tightening the head, and even tried a brand new showerhead: still the drip-drop persists.

There are no other leaks that I can tell: nothing bad is happening behind the wall (that I can tell) and there's no leak where the arm meets the head.

I've ordered another gasket to try, but if that doesn't work I'm fresh out of ideas. Are there any other malfunctions that would cause water to drip out the showerhead's hole(s)? Do I need to pull the hot/cold handles off and tighten/check them, in case they're not "closing" all the way?

Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-17, 11:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
It's probably not your shower head's fault since you'e had the same problem with two shower heads. You might have a leaking faucet. Remove/unscrew the shower head. Does the pipe drip? If yes then your faucet is leaking. If no I would suggest trying a different style shower head. The water drip is probably just the water trapped inside the shower head dripping out.

Old 03-28-17, 12:56 PM
M
Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance, but when you say "faucet" do you mean the hot/cold handles? Or the arm component that goes from the wall to the showerhead?

If you literally mean a faucet, my apologies for not being clearer: this is a stall-style shower; the only components are the head and two handles.

Old 03-28-17, 01:50 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
The valve set is leaking. You need a new valve washer or "O" ring depending on the age and style. Do you know the brand of shower. Most name brands are lifetime warranty and the mfg will replace the cartridge.

Old 03-28-17, 06:54 PM
M
Thanks again for the replies guys. With a little bit of poking around and various video-watching to better educate myself, it would appear I have a two-stem Delta faucet in the shower. Thanks to your replies and the info I looked up, it looks like I'll be taking the handles apart and replacing some parts this weekend.

One thing: would I be replacing the washer/O-ring, the cartridge, or both? (I haven't opened up the handles yet.)

Last edited by Morgan19; 03-28-17 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
It depends on what fauctet/valves you have. Most older ones take washers while newer ones use cartridges. Just make sure to turn off the water to the house first. And open a faucet until all the water stops flowing before removing your valve stems.

Old 03-29-17, 06:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just went thru this last week. The cartridge was bad.

Old 03-31-17, 10:47 AM
M
So I've got the attachment screw, knobs, and cover plates off, resulting in the photo below where I've detached the part in my hand from the part in the wall (stem? cartridge?).

It's pretty snug in the wall though, so I wanted to do a common-sense check before I do anything else for fear of breaking something...

I assume the next step is to remove the part in the wall--do I need a special tool for that?. I see Delta "stem assemblies" at HD that look like this piece; is that all I'm replacing, or is there more behind the wall I need to swap out? I'm just concerned with the opening being so small/tight about being able to get to what I need to.

(eidt) This video appears to be what I need to do, but in the shower instead of a sink, yeah?

Name:  DSC03755.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  32.0 KB

Last edited by Morgan19; 03-31-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 11:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
What brand is your faucet? A check of their website should turn up a diagram.

Old 03-31-17, 11:11 AM
M
Actually, I think I've made progress.

I was able to just pull the cartridge out after a bit of poking around and observing, so I think the next step is getting replacement cartridges for both sides, installing them, and putting everything back together again.

Fingers crossed.

Name:  DSC03756.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  28.7 KB

Last edited by Morgan19; 03-31-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 05:57 PM
M
Just wanted to pop back in and give an update.

The leaky showerhead was fixed by replacing the rubber cup and spring at the base of the valve. In fixing that, the assembly developed a leaky handle. I wasn't able to find the exact cartridge at the store but replaced the rubber gasket (washer?) inside the catridge, and that fixed the new handle leak.

So now eveyrthing's back to normal and working well. Thank you very much to everyone who replied here; I definitely appreciate the guidance.