Leak in jet tub 2.0

Old 03-29-17, 05:44 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak in jet tub 2.0

About 2 years ago, I posted (on another thread) a question about a head on my jet tub. The issue was that I saw a crack in it, and I think it was PJMax who gave me this link:

Hot Tub Spa Replacement Jet Parts - Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath for the HTC Series

I had not done anything about it because there were no leaks, and i figured leave well enough alone. Well.....last night - there was a leak, so now it needs addressing.

For reference, here is the picture of the head.....

My questions are:

(1) Should I just get the clamping ring, gasket, and 3 screws?. The head is very loose, and I am hopeful a tighter head (like the other 3), will mean no leak.

(2) Is it safe to assume that once you get the 3 screws out, the ring, the jet and the gasket will be easily removed?.

(3) Any particular trick to "reseating" the jet back into the assembly when it is time to put it back.

Thanks.

PS: I am going to refill the tub and use my snake camera to pinpoint the actual leak for more info. I will post that video probably tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-17, 07:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
1. Since you don't know where it's leaking I would get the entire assembly since shipping will be a significant portion of the cost. You don't want to have to order twice. And, since the cracked ring you can see doesn't directly hold in the water there is a good chance the leak is somewhere else.

2. NO, you cannot assume that anything will be easily removed. If they used a sealant things may be "glued" in place. Also the piping behind may be stiff and not have much room to flex.

3. Putting jets back in is easy and many can even be done when the spa is full. The problem is if the housing or hoses attached to it are causing the leak. Usually that requires access to the back side to repair.

Old 03-29-17, 05:01 PM
F
thanks for the info.........I'm gonna run that video snake and track the leak down......

Old 04-01-17, 07:52 AM
F
Well I ran the snake camera and the drip is coming from the back of the jet assembly (the bottom of #1 in the diagram). Clearly the source is above it somewhere and the water just runs along the surface until it drips at that spot. I am now thinking it is a hose joint somewhere. This is in a difficult spot I was wondering is there such a thing as a dye test to pinpoint the spot?. I don't want the dye to ruin the tub if you get my meaning.......maybe food coloring?. My goal here is to fix the leak with minimal destruction of the surround.

Old 04-01-17, 04:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Yes, you can put dye in the water but I'd say that's more trouble than it's worth. You can see the water just follow it to it's source. Adding dye won't make the leak source any easier to access.