Single handle set screw stuck in valve

Old 04-06-17, 01:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Single handle set screw stuck in valve

My husband and I rent but our landlord doesn't respond to a lot of requests, and we mostly have resorted to fixing things ourselves. Our existing Delta crystal ball handle for our shower was so moldy and gross, we decided to replace it, because it seemed easy enough. Pried the cap off and the screw was so stripped we couldn't get it out. Husband worked on it with a screw extractor but only managed to get the head of the screw off. Now the thread of the screw is stuck sticking out of the valve and it's impossible to get a good grip on it with pliers and we don't want to risk breaking other parts of the valve trying to pry it off (That would require turning off the water which we can't do)

Tips on how to loosen a rusted/stuck thread from the valve without taking the whole valve apart?? We've tried WD-40 but no dice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Since you are aware that working on a rental property brings with it liability, I will interject using PB Blaster Penetrating spray. WD-40 is a water displacement product and does not penetrate the threads like PB will.

Old 04-06-17, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
This is a common occurrence in my workplace and the setscrew threads and pot metal handle fuse together and can not be threaded out.
Your only option is to try to drill out the setscrew or carefully grind enough of the handle to allow it to come off.

I agree with Larry in that the taps are your landlord's property and maybe it would be better to back away and wait for him to fix it.
A pro should easily be able to get the handle off and if you break something you could get a bill and not the landlord.

Old 06-12-17, 01:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed!

Thanks for the tips all - we ended up using Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil and that worked like a charm! Got the rest of the screw out and replaced the handle with a fresh screw and clean handle.