Manufacturer says they never saw this before. Really? laminated paper in bowl

Old 04-07-17, 11:00 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Manufacturer says they never saw this before. Really? laminated paper in bowl

This AM, my wife pointed to something like a short tail of something in the bowl of our 1 year old toilet. Maybe a piece of paper rolled up? 1" long

I pulled out this piece of paper (3" x 6") that was in the spot where water from the tank comes in.

Calling manufacturer, they said that label was glued to inside of tank lid.

So after a year, with condensation being over tank of water, etc. the glue weakened and the label fell into tank then got pulled from tank into flow of water. but got hung up along the way and only the corner could stick into the bowl.

a) I asked the manufacturer (manager of tech support) if he ever heard of that before? he said no!?

b) really? anyone heard of something like this?

c) glad we at least saw that small tip. If it got hung up without any visible in the bowl, we'd never know / likely would cause performance issues?

d) Am I wrong to think that's crazy to have non-disolvable papers in the bowl? Would you think to remove thatn when doing an install? Got to check thieir instlal instructions if they say to remove it.

Funny - paper warns about not using chlorine based cleaners... that will degrade (components). doesn't say remove this or it will degrade performance.

Name:  2017-04-07 12.57.22.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  50.1 KBName:  2017-04-07 12.57.40.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  11.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-17, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure how that tag would hamper performance. If it released itself, it would easily be flushed with other waste. Certainly not anything I would want in a septic tank, but it would flush.

Old 04-07-17, 02:15 PM
B
I shoudl have taken a picture, but no, it didn't flush. it got stuck before getting into the bowl. It was only because we saw a tiny corner of it sticking out of the circled area in the bowl. This is the INlet of the bowl - the paper would ahve to get into the bowl first, which it didn't get into yet.

Old 04-07-17, 02:57 PM
How did you get a picture of it?

Old 04-07-17, 05:32 PM
B
how'd i get a picture of the paper? after pulling it out of the circled area of the drawing (where water from the tank comes in), washing it in clean water then taking a picture

Old 04-07-17, 06:21 PM
which it didn't get into yet.
OK, I thought it hadn't passed through, yet.

Old 04-07-17, 08:23 PM
Would you think to remove thatn when doing an install? Got to check thieir instlal instructions if they say to remove it.
I don't see an issue here. I would think to remove the label but then I wouldn't remove it.
I would want the homeowner to see the sticker and read the use and care instructions, then the homeowner will remove the sticker after reading.

It's the same with ovens or any other appliance, there are stickers that sometimes state "to be removed by homeowner only", not the installer.

In your case it looks like the manufacturer only wanted to point out do not use chlorine based cleaners in the tank.

Old 04-07-17, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Yes the sticker fell off the lid inside the tank and got flushed down through the flapper. It worked its way out to the water jet but could not make it into the bowl.

Yes it would reduce performance and it would restrict water to the bowl for a superior flush..

Its good you found it..

Maybe they will change their process and stick it on the back of tank like other brands do. Or use stronger glue...

Old 04-08-17, 04:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I can understand why Toto put the label there. Its the only area where you can place a label where it's not visible but is still accessible. It contains useful information like providing the name of the components inside the tank, and yes we do get people posting on the forum who don't have a clue how a toilet works. It also tells you where to look for your toilet's model number. Required when using their chart of replacement part numbers.