Looking for suggestions for temporarily sealing a shower knob escutcheon

Old 04-08-17, 01:20 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for suggestions for temporarily sealing a shower knob escutcheon

I need to temporarily seal some shower knob escutcheons to the tile wall in a way that will last upwards of a week. IIRC, anything involving duct tape doesn't work well in a shower because hot water tends to neutralize the glue. I have some self-fusing silicone tape, is it worth trying to roll it into a temporary washer ring and just stuff it behind the lip of the escutcheon? Any other ideas involving common household supplies that don't require a trip to the store?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-17, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is this an extension of this thread? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...le-shower.html

Try to keep all your questions regarding the same subject in the same thread so we don't have to answer you more than once and look all over for the other posts. Thanks.

Why not do it right, go to the store, buy the proper product and be done with it? I think you are trying to make repairs out of old stuff that won't work.

Old 04-09-17, 07:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They're related, but not really the same thing which is why I broke it out into two threads.

We had a shower diverter break. I had to jury-rig it back together temporarily with epoxy and wanted to find a way to waterproof it for a few days while I hunt around specialty plumbing warehouses for a replacement. For now I just cut a hole in a rubber sheet and duct-taped it over the diverter knob. Even though this is temporary I was hoping for a better solution.

While I was messing with the diverter I noticed that all the caulking on all the fixtures in general has gone bad, so I might as well handle that too. But as this is over the weekend all the hardware stores are closed so I was trying to use what we already had. I will seal the other fixtures properly with new sealant that I'll pick up tomorrow, but that doesn't address the problem of temporarily waterproofing the diverter knob in a way that works.

Old 04-09-17, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I just cut a hole in a rubber sheet and duct-taped it over the diverter knob.
Nope. The old garbage bag cut open and duct taped to the wall/walls in need work best