Sink Valve Locations

Old 04-08-17, 09:59 PM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Sink Valve Locations

I'm replacing a wall hung sink with a vessel sink mounted on a free standing slab of stone.

Rather than reuse the the drain pipe and water pipes as configured through the floor, for appearance reasons I want to relocate them into the wall and drop them below into the basement.

(I would do this by splicing the faucet water lines to 3/8" copper tubing-- and the drain pipe... will also wrestle into the wall somehow.)

But I saw in a book drawing by a master plumber...he showed sink pipes going into the basement, however the 2 valves and the drain trap were in the basement also.

My question is: Under what conditions is this allowable? (In my case there will be reasonable access to the valves and trap at the basement ceiling below.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-17, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Your faucet supply lines up to the stop valve are 1/2" copper or cpvc or PEX. I am trying to picture a "free standing" slab of stone. What holds it up? I would not put my stop valves in the basement, as they should be close to the point of use in case they need to be turned off quickly. The trap won't be located in the basement, either. I think you are describing an "S" trap, which has no vent, and is not code.

Old 04-09-17, 04:37 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
As far as I know, sink valves or isolation valves as I like to call them are not dictated by code and can be located in the basement. But as Larry, says, it's not a good idea. Many new homes don't even bother with shutoff valves and just use angle or elbows to attach supply lines.

I'm also confused by free standing. Do you mean a pedestal sink?

Old 04-09-17, 11:28 AM
G
Gen
The vessel sink I want to plumb like the attached diagram. (minus the over kill 2" drain) The shutoffs will be literally 15 steps away from the sink.

Not a pedestal--it's a small vessel sink sitting on a 13 x 16" custom stone 3/4". Will likely attach stone via through-wall brackets bolted inside the wall to studs.

Because of this, I want the open space below the sink to be clean, clear an free as possible from pipes, p trap, and valves....

I guess my question is if I'm missing anything code wise on all this? The diagram comes from a master plumber, though he shows a vanity cabinet.

Name:  20170409_100141_resized (1).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  43.8 KB

Old 04-09-17, 12:29 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
He may be a master plumber, but that drain wouldn't be to code anywhere now with no vent for the trap.

I suggest you look at vessel sink bottle traps and run the properly vented drain in the wall behind the sink and use a bottle trap. You can mount it just below the sink and it will be hardly visible unless you are on your hands and knees. And they are quite clean looking even if you do see it.

Then extend your supply lines up inside the wall to just below your stone and put standard stubs with 1/4 turn stops there so you can use short flexible lines to the faucet. Again, you won't see any of that unless you are on the floor looking up.

Old 04-09-17, 01:12 PM
G
Gen
OK....Also-- The faucet copper lines are about 7" long before they end at the connector heads. Is there a way to shorten them to reduce their visibility below the sink slab? Thanks!~

Old 04-09-17, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What is the purpose of the threaded rod? Hopefully not for holding anything up, cause it won't

Old 04-09-17, 06:26 PM
G
Gen
The diagram attached is only to elaborate the plumbing--not what I'm doing otherwise.

I do have a threaded rod on the faucet which is oversize for some reason and will also be cut shorter--to eliminate visibility--when the time comes.

It mounts the Delta faucet against the underside of the stone via a small metal mounting plate.

Last edited by Gen; 04-09-17 at 06:48 PM.