Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Interesting shower dilemma...

04-20-17, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Interesting shower dilemma...

Helping a friend install sliding glass shower doors on a one-piece fiberglass shower and we discovered there's no stud backing to screw the wall jams into. The shower wall is 1.5" thick with 1/2" drywall behind this. Everything is finished around the shower (tile) so I'm at a loss how to support the jams. Can some kind of anchor be pushed through the fiberglass wall into the space behind to screw the wall jams into?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

04-20-17, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro here but I'm curious.
I thought there was a thicker part to those inserts where the door gets mounted.

If I understand you the fiberglass enclosure is sitting 1-1/2" off the sheetrock...
or there is an 1-1/2" gap between the back of the enclosure and the rock.

There probably should have been a 2x4 on the wall behind the enclosure.

Can you get and post a picture for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

04-21-17, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)  
There is no real forces exerted on a sliding glass door so plastic anchors into the fiberglass will suffice. You are basically constructing a metal box that keeps the doors vertical. The forces, if any, are parallel to the wall and not perpendicular.

If this was a "Hinged" door where the weight of the door was in play, it would be another story.

04-21-17, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)  
@PJmax thanks, happy to be here! Correct, there is a thicker part that is for mounting door hardware, but it's hollow underneath (that's just the way they're molded, basically only the outer flange ever sits flush to the framing), so a 1.5" cavity between the fiberglass bump out and the gyproc behind. There SHOULD have been some 2x4 backing on either side but there isn't, thus the dilemma.

@czizzi I agree with your assessment about supporting weight, etc. I'm just a little freaked out about using anchors for this (eg. potential to crack the fiberglass, if the anchors aren't flush there will be a gap between jam and wall which will look terrible with silicone fill, etc.). You figure some basic plastic anchors will suffice?

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

04-21-17, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I've installed dozens of these, the metal is not flush, there should be a stand off, and there is room for the plastic anchor. My own tub, that I shower in daily is exactly what you have and the screws are mounted with plastic anchors. Predrill the holes, there is zero chance of the fiberglass cracking. Choose a drill bit that will accept the correct size anchor. Practice on your garbage can or recycle bin to get the right hole size for the anchors you are using. You want a snug fit on the anchor and a good grip on the anchor with the screw.

04-21-17, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)  
roger that, will do. Thanks.

Search this Thread