Toilet sewer smell

Old 04-23-17, 12:54 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Toilet sewer smell

A few weeks back we had tile floor installed in the bathroom (replaced vinyl). Since then we have been getting a sewer odor from the base of the toilet.

A couple days ago I replaced the wax ring, but it still smells.

Figuring that it was possible I did not set the toilet correctly, today I pulled the toilet to check and replace it. It looked as though the wax was not contacting the toilet correctly. So, I installed a new taller wax ring, but I believe I can still smell it (my wife will confirm it when she gets home). Assuming it still smells, what could possibly be causing it?

Some things I noticed... The flange is flush with the floor, I suspect it used to sit slightly above the floor (vinyl vs cement board/ tile). Where one of the toilet bolts goes into the flange, the track is cracked on the flange. The toilet still bolts down securely, but I wonder if that may be causing the smell. If the flange needs to be raised about half an inch, is that fairly simple to do?

Anything else that may cause the smell?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-17, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
I wouldn't mess with raising the flange. Try adding a second wax ring first.

Old 04-23-17, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, stack a second plain wax ring on top of the wax ring with the neoprene insert. When you go to set the toilet, it should contact the ring first and you should have to use your body weight to push the toilet down to compress the wax ring. If you set the toilet and it immediately contacts the floor, you did not have a thick enough wax ring. When stacking rings, make sure they both are at room temperature so they are soft enough to compress.

Old 04-23-17, 02:01 PM
N
Great, will pick up a couple new wax rings and give that a shot. The toilet definitely touches the floor immediately and I never feel the wax compressing.

Anything special when stacking the rings? Just make sure they are the same temperature and that's it.

Old 04-23-17, 02:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Room temperature not same temperature - 70 degrees is recommended.

Yes, get one thick (no. 10) wax ring and a basic wax ring without any insert. Stack the basic on top of the thick and give it a nice easy pinch to make sure they are stuck together. Don't indent the wax, just make sure good contact is made.

Old 04-24-17, 02:10 PM
N
Well, stacked 2 rings and when I put the toilet on I felt the wax squish out, so fingers crossed 3rd time's the charm!!

Will know for sure later when my wife goes past that bathroom... If I hear then it still stinks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: