toilet question

Old 04-29-17, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet question

I read all the suggestions in the faq section and still have some questions. I have a toilet that does not flush without plunging about half of the time. there is usually not a great amount of solids in the bowl. when it backs the water up I have to plunge agressively to get it to go down. any ideas? also. I was looking at new toilets and some of them say dual flush. any idea if this is good or bad compared to a single flush? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-17, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Dual flush are fine, I have two of them at our mountain condo.

Regarding your current toilet, I would suspect that something is stuck in the trap that is restricting flow. The toilet needs to be pulled and turned upside down and inspected for what ever is stuck in there. Kids sometimes flush toys that get stuck in the throat. Eventually, toilet paper builds up on the obstruction and you have to plunge to get flow again. Relatively simple to find out if that is the issue. Will cost you a wax ring and a little time to determine.

Old 04-29-17, 07:00 AM
thanks for the reply, pulled up the toilet and the pipe going to the sewer was about three quarters plugged with calcium buildup about twelve inches down. anyone ever heard of that? cleaned it out and hopefully it will fix the problem. this is a hard water area but I didn't know calcium would buildup on plastic pipe. thanks again

Old 04-29-17, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like an extreme case, but you can get buildup on any little rough spot and once it starts, it just builds from there. You are probably good for a long time.

I agree with Chris...dual flush units can save a lot of water when only dealing with liquid waste and small amount of TP. They tend to confuse guests...but most figure it out.

Old 05-02-17, 04:05 AM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
I'm a big proponent of duel flush toilets. They save water and are quieter.

Old 05-02-17, 06:14 AM
The only negative I have with respect to duel flush toilets is if you need to use the top of the tank as a shelf. My wife puts a tissue box on it and I have seen people use it for extra toilet paper and other things. The flushing switch gets in the way and reduces the top of the tank's usefulness as an extra shelf. Other then that they are fine.

Old 05-02-17, 08:07 AM
...dual flush units can save a lot of water when only dealing with liquid waste...
I don't know why but I've thought about this for decades. If all houses had a small urinal on the wall this country would save gazillions of gallons a year. Why not?

Old 05-02-17, 09:39 AM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
That would save a lot of marriage s too!