Is a basement shower an option if the main sewage line is above the floor?

Old 05-01-17, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a basement shower an option if the main sewage line is above the floor?

I want to put a shower in the basement.
The main sewage drain line is 3' above the basement floor level.
I've looked at some upflush systems but those have a holding tank so if the person takes a long shower the tank might not hold all the water.
There's also that drain outside the entrance door but I don't know if that's just to direct water into the ground so it doesn't go down into the basement or if it connects to the main drain (doubt it) and therefore could accept the amount of water generated by a shower. Even if it did connect to the main sewage line I'd have to get the water from the shower out to doorway and into that little crosshatch drain.
The other thing I thought about is directing the water into the sump pump hole and having the sump pump evacuate the water but I'm hearing the sump pump isn't designed for that application.
Has anyone done a basement shower (where the main sewage drain is above the basement floor and if so, how did you successfully achieve this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-17, 09:24 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Toilet waste holding tanks have a pump that discharges to the overhead sewer piping. Some toilet waste tanks are made to accept the outfall from a shower as well. Even if you have to install a tank dedicated to the shower it will have a pump that automatically starts when the level in the tank rises to a certain level.

Old 05-02-17, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
You said "upflush". Does that mean you also want to have a toilet in the basement?

No, you cannot direct shower (gray) water to a sump pump. It is illegal in most areas. Gray water from sinks & showers must be directed to the sanitary sewer or septic system in most jurisdictions.