Tub snake not doing anything, am I not doing it right?

Old 05-03-17, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub snake not doing anything, am I not doing it right?

Tub was backing up to the calfs.
A couple servings of drano later and still no joy.
Since the tip of the snake wouldn't fit much past any of the four pie slices in the drain, a buddy told me to take off the air cap off and stick it in there (as shown).
It goes in a few inches deep but when I turn the handle nothing seems to be budging.
Anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-17, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Your snake needs to in at least a foot to hit the drain part where the clogs usually occur.

Name:  bt drain.JPG
Views: 1300
Size:  20.3 KB

At my sisters I use a very thin coat hanger with a sharp hook on the end and send it right thru the drain. It takes a little creative bending but it always grabs clumps of hair.

Old 05-04-17, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
That is not an "air cap". It's were the lever and mechanism goes for the tub stopper. It's possible the stopper lever or linkage broke and left the stopper stuck in the pipe and is blocking the snake. When you removed the stopper lever was there a long metal arm down in the pipe with a small can shaped thing at the end?

Old 05-10-17, 03:06 PM
no there wasn't.

I poured Green Goblin, which the plumbing guy at HD said was better than Drano down both the overflow tube and the drain itself.

It sat there but two days later it all went down the drains.

I poured water, still clogged.

I turn the handle on the hand auger and nothing loosens.

It seems to be getting stuck where the overflow drain tube meets the tub drain line.

The package says to use a second helping of Green Goblin is the first didn't do the trick, I'll do it tonight

Old 05-10-17, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
I would stop trying pour down the drain chemicals. I have never seen or had them work so they can be a waste of money. Secondly they are hazardous/caustic chemicals and you're getting it over you and your tools.

I'm not sure what question your answer was answering but if you did not have a stopper and mechanism come out when you removed the overfill cover plate they may have rusted/broken off and fallen down into the drain. Blocking your snake from getting past and can also block the water leaving the tub just like a clog. I'd get a coat hanger and bend a small hook into the end and go fishing down the overflow tube and see if you can snag and pull anything up. Be careful of splashes (wear safety glasses and keep your mouth shut) since you've poured caustic chemicals down the drain. If you feel your skin burning, even if you can't see anything, take a minute and wash the area with soap and water.

Old 05-10-17, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Hair is almost impossible to remove with chemicals. It would take straight lye or acid to do it and would probably chew thru the pipes. Drano was a popular product since it was a very high lye concentration but I believe it has been diluted like most over-the-shelf drain de-cloggers.

I have four sisters..... mega hair/drain problems. As I mentioned previously and Dane mentioned...... the coat hanger with a hook is the best tool I've found to do the job.

Use one of the thin ones.... usually white.

Old 05-10-17, 07:58 PM
guess it'll be time to drop off some dry cleaning in order to get some more of the cheapo thin white bendable coathangers then I'll try that since I've never been able to get a snake to work

Old 05-12-17, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Does your over flow cover have a lever? Does it look like there should have been a lever?

Here is a diagram of how two popular tub stoppers work and the most common is on the left. In both cases you can see that there are a lot of mechanical bits. If the metal linkages did not come out when you removed the overflow cover then they are likely still down inside the drain. It's common for the tiny pin at the lever to break allowing the rest of the bits to stay in the drain, blocking your auger/snake.

Old 05-12-17, 08:19 AM
When I pulled the cap off it was only the cap and no other parts.
I have to assume they're down there blocking ... everything.
I got the coathanger and I'll bring it but what I really need is a high powered snake magnet, don't I?
My flexible magnet is only about 6" long, not enough to get this job done

Old 05-12-17, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You have to get the snake past the trap. You need to keep pushing and cranking at the same time till it gets through.. Thats a very good snake and I just unclogged a tub last week with it. I pulled out a glob of hair ball the size of Wyoming!!!!

Old 05-14-17, 06:55 PM
I stuck the coathanger in the overflow and whatever was down there wouldn't budge.
Then I stuck it in the drain, kept pushing and it came out the top of the over flow.
But then I couldn't pull it out of the over flow and couldn't pull it back out of the drain either so now the coathanger's stuck.
I think the twistie part at the hook that I separated when making the coathanger snake got stuck somewhere in there.
I didn't have a thick pair of gloves handy so I'll bring a pair and go back out there and try to at least get the coathanger out but if there are parts stuck down there, there's no budge/play

Old 05-15-17, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
What is located below your tub? Hopefully it's a crawl space or closet. The last resort might be hiring a professional or going at the drain from below.

Old 05-15-17, 09:35 AM
It's on the ground floor, the opposing wall can access the overflow pipe but the rest goes under the tub then disappears, probably into the concrete floor.
I'm working in the dark. I feel it's time to buy a camera to see what the blockage is and where it's at.
The question is whether to pay the extra for the waterproof version:
RIDGID Micro CA25 Inspection Camera-40043 - The Home Depot
or
Klein Tools Borescope Inspection Waterproof Camera-ET510 - The Home Depot

Old 05-15-17, 10:11 AM
The second one's waterproof, has a light, and isn't too expensive so I'll go with that

Old 05-28-17, 04:56 PM
I happened to dump a bucket of water into the bathroom sink (in the same room as the tub), heard a loud gurgling and a bunch of dark brown almost black water came UP from the tub drain and into the rub ... ?
BTW it'd bee raining off and on for the past few days and the brown liquid didn't smell like a stool.
Not sure if this sheds any light on the issue

Old 06-08-17, 06:50 AM
Out of time and ideas I called a plumber.
They said it took two hours using a Rigid K50 drain machine to work out a deep wad of hair, as evidenced by the scraps of hair laying around afterwards.
$350 later (ouch) and the water drains properly.

Old 06-08-17, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Sometimes it takes a big tool. Hopefully they were able to work without making too big a mess in the house.

Old 06-08-17, 05:07 PM
they weren't messy, that much I'll give them, it's just the price that left me on my back