Replacing overflow tube in toilet?

Old 05-14-17, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing overflow tube in toilet?

Hello -- would really appreciate any suggestions here...

I accidentally busted a piece on what's look to be part of the overflow tube that connects to the flapper. It's an American Standard toilet (from 1986, I think) and uses one of those large tube-style flappers like this:

Name:  toiley.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  8.2 KB

So I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing this. Should I replace the entire overflow tube? As that appears to be the part that is busted (please see attached pic -- the busted part in circled in red).

If I should replace the overflow tube, how do I access it? Do I need to take the tank off first? (I've had no luck finding videos on this topic)

Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_1688.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  29.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-14-17 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-17, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you'll need to disconnect the water feed line and the tank bolts. There is a large nut under the tank that holds that assembly in place.

You'll need that replacement overflow assembly, a new set of tank bolts that will come as a kit with gaskets and most importantly an exact matching gasket between the tank and the lower piece.

There are many videos showing overflow tube replacement. Although the flapper may look different.... the job is identical. you tube/watch?v=NkOFFYHZFBU

Old 05-15-17, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax!

Yeah, I saw that video earlier -- it was the only one I could find. I was hoping to track one down where they actually show you how to do the replacement (instead of just talking about it). But your comments help as well.

Thanks again. I'll try to do a big more digging on this.

Old 05-16-17, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just for more information. Buy two tank-to-bowl bolt kits. Install them in this order from the inside of the tank down.....rubber washer and bolt. From underneath.........rubber washer, metal washer and nut. Do this on each side of the tank and you will make it an autonomous unit that will not leak. Then you can set the completed tank on the bowl and install a metal washer and nut under it to hold it in place.

Old 05-16-17, 05:16 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts