P trap causing drain not to drain?

Old 05-17-17, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
P trap causing drain not to drain?

I attempted a repair of an outdoor sink which was leaking at the connections underneath. The original sink had no P-trap just two right ankle connections one from the sink down and across the other from across down into the ground.

I decided since I was changing the pipes to install a P-trap. I find the drain does not drain well - it drains very very slowly. The angle frm the P-trap is going down into the drain so I'm not sure what I screwed up. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-17, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless it is connected to a septic or sewer system, there would really be no need for a ptrap. Does the water exit to the atmosphere at some point? Maybe you could post a picture or two of it so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-17-17, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
Post a picture. If its draining slow there has to be an obstruction down the line. Does the drain line have a vent?

Old 05-17-17, 03:17 PM
I will send a picture. No. Vent that I can see

Old 05-17-17, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
it may need a vent then, such as an AAV, otherwise it will drain slowly... like turning a 2 liter bottle upside down it would be gulping for air.

Old 05-18-17, 09:46 AM
Photos

Ok here are some photos showing the situation:

First Photo - old setup - showing just right angles from sink to drain pipe
- combination 0f black rubber piping & PVC

Second Photo - new setup - showing white PVC with Trap (Not actually connected)

Third Photo - In between setup - showing piece of PVC attached to strainer but nothing in between that and drain pipe.

My house has septic tanks but I can't say for sure if this drains into that or a drywell or even the ground.

Also of note is before the sink started leaking at the connections of the old piping it would run & drain ok.

With the old piping removed I snaked the drain fairly far - 20+ feet - nothing major seemed to be obstructing things. I did note that at around the 2-3 ft point into the drain it was very difficult to navigate the bend with the snake. It seemed more like the angle of whatever undergound piping was put in rather then an actual blockage.

I tried putting a hose directly into the disconnected drain pipe and not much water would come from the hose before it started overflowing. When I removed the hose the water in that drain pipe would go down "ok" ish

Hope the additional info helps

Attached Images    
Old 05-19-17, 08:51 AM
Any updates based on my photos???

Old 05-19-17, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
That's some goofy original pipe. Looks like irrigation pipe, not schedule 40.

My guess is that if it drained just fine before and it doesnt now, that it's a venting problem. The drain going down into the cabinet looks very small. Generally you will have a sink with 1 1/2" pipe empty into a larger pipe, such as 2". This provides plenty of air over/around the water as it drains. But I am concerned that you have such small diameter pipe that the trap is emptying into that it can't drain and get air at the same time.

I would advise you to take it apart, (while you have it apart fill it with water and see if it drains fine) replace your back elbow with a sanitary tee. Position the tee vertically so that water from the trap will follow the sanitary elbow part of the tee, then off the top of that tee, install an AAV (air admittance valve) on a short piece of pipe that puts it as high as possible under the sink inside the cabinet.

http://plumbinghow1.files.wordpress....e-install2.jpg

Otherwise, Like Larry said, if you don't notice or mind any smell, since this is outside, forget the trap.

Old 05-19-17, 03:10 PM
Thanks - I will try venting it as you suggest and see if it works.

If I didn't use the P-trap how would you recommend making the angles - right angles?

Old 05-19-17, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With sweeps or hub to hub elbows, not 90 degree close angles like was originally on it. 3 in. PVC DWV 90 Degree Hub x Hub Elbow-C4807HD3 - The Home Depot