Two piece tub/shower

Old 05-19-17, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two piece tub/shower

Have two questions and so respect those who are involved in the forums, so much good infor.
Three piece tub shower.......Know that the vertical seams are caulked with a nice clean finished look but the horizontal connection, even though one lip covers the other, it is prudent to also force caulk into that seam as well since with out it, mold or mildew could grow! Any thoughts?
Secondly, have a Moen single handle tub shower, never been a fan of the fill tube sliding onto a piece of pipe via an internal clamp; this one was installed crooked so it does not seat against the wall tight and do not like it, want to pull the tub fill off, directions say to loosen the hex screw, turn tub valve over and I assume it will slide off, right? May have to make an access door to see if the plumbing itself is anchored correctly but may at that time change from that PVC fitting to a brass nipple and get a new spout that can be drawn tight against the wall. Your thoughts please; always appreciate your feed back.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-17, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No responses?

Thought sure with all the talent in the DIY Forum that I would get at least one response to my issues. Maybe I will hang in there and one will come.

Old 05-26-17, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
None of the surrounds that I have installed have any visible caulk. The seams overlap and some don't call for any caulk and those that do have you caulk and then assemble the pieces and the caulk line is not visible. I have never installed extra caulk along the seam where the surround meets the tub. If you do caulk along the bottom make sure you pay attention to how any water that gets into the vertical seams will get out. If you caulk the bottom and water does weep down a vertical seam the caulk can act as a dam and cause the water to leak out on the back side where it can rot your framing.

I to do not like the slip on tub spouts, especially in rental houses. Many people are too rough and can pull them loose. To remove I just loosen the set screw and wiggle and pull. They can stick in place with mineral deposits but with enough pulling and wiggling they do come off.