A toilet question

Old 05-28-17, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A toilet question

I have a tenant leave and I decided to replace the toidy.

After removing the old toidy I took a large bucket and put a couple of gallons of water down the open pipe to check the drain and it was fine. Simultaneously I had water draining from the tub to really test the drain and all worked well. I do this each time I replace a toidy after a tenant leaves.

I put the new toidy on and when I do number 1 it's fine but when I do number 2 there's a hesitation when flushing and water leaks when it starts to go to the drain pipe.

What could cause this?

Thanks!!

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
Sounds like you screwed up the wax seal or used the wrong type. You have one shot at setting it, or you ruin the wax. So you will need a new wax seal, possibly new better flange bolts if yours are too short or won't stay upright. You generally test fit the toilet first to make sure it sits flat without rocking. If it rocks, the floor will need to be shimmed.

When you are sure the subfloor has been shimmed properly, take the toilet up, put the wax seal on the bottom of the toilet, then carefully set it straight down over the bolts and apply even pressure until it's tight to the floor, sitting on the seat but not rocking it. Then apply the washers and nuts but do not overtighten.

Old 05-28-17, 06:12 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
What is "toidy"? ________________________________________

Old 05-29-17, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
X man..

Thanks for the reply.

I used the one with that came in the box but I usually buy one that has extra wax and the rubber extension...I will have to go at it again...

Thanks again and I will attempt it this weekend...