toilet valve comes back on

Old 06-05-17, 01:25 PM
toilet valve comes back on

I just replaced an old toilet valve (10" hoover) with a new one and adjusted it.
It seems to shut off correctly and I don't hear any hissing sound. However, when I go back after 5-10mins, it is slightly hissing and water is slowly trickling into the bowl from the little fill tube not the overfill.
Is this a fault?
I tried tightening the water level screw and the same happens...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-17, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
How far below the top of the fill tube did you set the water level? I have the water level 1/2" or more below the top of the overflow tube. Some valves will hiss and slowly flow water near their cut off point.

With servo type valves (Fluidmaster) I have had the valve hiss and leak water when dirt or debris gets into the diaphragm area. The tops can be opened and the diaphragm cleaned.

Old 06-05-17, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water fill is set too high. Do you have a link to the fill valve you installed? You should be able to adjust where is shuts off and control the level in the tank.

Old 06-05-17, 02:13 PM
It's about 3/4" below the overflow tube and also below the fill line marked on the toilet. I tightened the screw to lower the fill point but it still happens.
It shuts off then comes back on later. It's not that it shuts off and then hisses immediately...
Was similar to this but a 10" non adjustable so cheaper: Adjustable Toilet Fill Valve | Canadian Tire

I did see some pipe dope in the cistern...may have got through from the threads...

Old 06-05-17, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a standard ball float fill valve then. I have actually stuck a penny under the contact point on these to give it better pressure to keep it closed. Think about replacing this with a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve for more reliable service. I ave installed a ton of toilets with these valves and immediately change out the fill valve to the fluidmaster. I have about 30 that I keep trying to sell in garage sales and nobody wants them.

Old 06-05-17, 03:06 PM
What do you stick the penny on with?

Old 06-05-17, 07:26 PM
Also, the hole for this cistern seems to be placed a bit towards the corner rather than in the middle. Would a Fluidmaster float fit in the space?

Old 06-06-17, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
It should, you can orient the Fluidmaster with the float anywhere back, side, or front as long as it moves freely. Might need a slightly longer hose to the overflow.