Moen Kitchen 2-handle faucet, stripped handle screw

Old 06-05-17, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moen Kitchen 2-handle faucet, stripped handle screw

I have a slight leak on my hot water side of a Moen 2-handle kitchen faucet and will replace the cartridge. Trying to get the handle off resulted in a stripped head of the phillips screw securing the handle. I checked the cold water side and with some effort was able to remove that screw to see what I was dealing with.

Seems this screw goes into nylon of the cartridge, so not sure how it could weld in there so, but does anyone have any advice for removing the damaged screw so that I can remove the handle?

Also, while working on the cold water side, I noticed that I could not remove the decorative bell-shaped cover over the cartridge. I always thought this may be plastic and usually can remove it with just some rubber gripping material but not this time. I am afraid to put the wrench to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-17, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Assuming you can't get in there with a dremel to cut a new slot in the head for a straight screwdriver, I would use a drill and bit to remove the head of the screw. Then once you pull the handle off you should be able to grab the stub of the screw with pliers or vice grips and unscrew it. Use a fairly large drill bit (say 1/4 or 5/16) so it drills off the head without shortening the screw stub too much.

But before you do any of that, try soaking the screw with white vinegar for a few hours and then try to loosen the screw again, even with the head being stripped.

Old 06-06-17, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Paul.

I did have to drill the head off the screw. Still unable to lift the handle off of the cartridge. I know I have hard water here but fail to understand how metal connected to nylon can seize like this.

I may have to drill more of the bolt stem. Guess I will be trashing the cartridge anyway.

Old 06-06-17, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can get a tool called a faucet handle puller that would probably do the trick....but it might not be worth it for one time use, even though they are not very expensive.

Old 06-07-17, 07:24 AM
Back to the drawing board. The faucet puller's feet are too thick to bet into the opening between the faucet handle and the base.

Tried soaking overnight with CLR. Just cannot get it to start to move enough to engage the faucet puller. I suppose I could slip a metal cutting blade into the gap but that would be ruining the handle and cutting through the cartridge.

Old 06-08-17, 11:22 AM
I was finally able to lift the handle enough after drilling out the screw to get the handle puller under the handle and was able to remove it.

Thanks for the advice.